This position has been filled. Please check out our other farm jobs here.
Puddle Produce Farm in Soda Creek, BC (near Williams Lake) is seeking a Farm Hand for the 2020 season!
Puddle Produce Farm
Puddle Produce Farm is a small 1.5 acre transitioning organic (2020) vegetable farm established on a 70 acre property in the Soda Creek region of the Cariboo, approximately 40kms north of Williams Lake. We grow 25-30 different vegetables and microgreens for the local farmers market, a CSA program, and some retail.
About the Position
The farm manager is looking for 1 full-time committed farm hand from May 1st-September 15th, or thereabouts. There is another full-time farm hand already hired to work on the team.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- A strong desire and interest in learning about small-scale vegetable farming
- Must be very physically fit and energetic (must be able to lift minimum 50lbs repeatedly)
- Fast learner and ability to adapt to new positions and working with new people
- Punctuality and strong time management skills
- Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently
- Ability to work in all weather situations
- Mature and positive attitude
- Good people and customer service skills
A driver’s license is an asset but not required. If you are an international applicant, you must provide a valid working Visa and references.
- Transplanting/recording field data
- Irrigation set up and maintenance
- Produce washing and processing
- Packing for CSA, wholesale and Farmers’ Market
- General farm labor as needed
Staying on the farm
There is a self-contained furnished suite in the farm house available to full time farm staff. It is a 2 bedroom suite with 3 piece bathroom, kitchen, and wifi/phone (there is no cell service here). The suite is rented to the farm hand at $300/month. There is also a fully furnished Skoolie (camperized school bus) on the farm at no cost (there is no wifi in the bus). Farm staff are expected to do all their own cooking, cleaning, and grocery shopping (we often share shopping trips). PLEASE NOTE: the farm is semi-isolated and while applicants without their own vehicle are welcome to apply, please keep in mind that there is no transportation to town other than market days (2x/wk) or rides with neighbours/co-workers.
Term: May 1st-September 15th, or later.
Hours: The candidate will work a 40hr work week, and days are typically Mon-Fri with opportunities for overtime, if desired.
Wage: $14.50-$15/hour depending on experience, and includes all deductions and benefits as per provincial labour laws, as well as all the free veggies you want.
There is also a cash bonus for each farm hand that commits to and completes the entire season (minimum September 15 end date).
Please submit a 1 page (maximum) letter of interest, telling us why you are interested in small-scale farming, and what you hope to get out of working with Puddle Produce Farm. This must also accompany a resume (maximum 2 pages) and a minimum of three professional/personal references. Any applications that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Please email your letter of interest, resume, and references to Brianna van de Wijngaard (Owner/Operator) at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
When applying, please mention you saw this job posting on youngagrarians.org
Learn More about Puddle Produce Farm
Check out their website: www.puddleproduce.ca