This position has been filled.
View more farm jobs and apprenticeships on our Job Blog.
Puddle Produce Farm in Soda Creek, BC (near Williams Lake) is seeking a Farm Hand for the 2020 season!
Puddle Produce Farm
Puddle Produce Farm is a small 1.5 acre certified organic vegetable farm established on a 70 acre property in the Soda Creek region of the Cariboo, approximately 40kms north of Williams Lake. We grow 30-40 different vegetables and microgreens for the local farmers market, a CSA program, and some retail.
About the Position
The farm manager is looking for 1 full-time committed farm hand from July-September, or later. This position is supported by a wage subsidy that requires the successful applicant to be 30 or under, unemployed, a student or underemployed, and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- A strong desire and interest in learning about small-scale vegetable farming
- Must be very physically fit and energetic (must be able to lift minimum 50lbs repeatedly)
- Fast learner and ability to adapt to new positions and working with new people
- Punctuality and strong time management skills
- Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently
- Ability to work in all weather situations
- Mature and positive attitude
- Good people and customer service skills
A vehicle will be required as there is no reliable transportation to/from the farm. If local or relocating, we are willing to discuss supporting fuel costs.
- Transplanting/recording field data
- Irrigation set up and maintenance
- Produce washing and processing
- Packing for CSA, wholesale and Farmers’ Market
- General farm labor as needed
Staying on the farm
As there are already 2 FT farm hands, there are no more accommodations available. The candidate would need to either be local, or willing to bring their own temporary accommodations. There is a bathroom available for farm staff use.
Term: July-September, 2020
Hours: The candidate will work a 40hr work week, and days are Mon-Fri with opportunities for overtime, if desired.
Wage: $14.50-$15/hour depending on experience, and includes all deductions and benefits as per provincial labour laws, as well as all the free veggies you want. There is also a cash bonus for each farm hand that commits to and completes the entire season (minimum September 15 end date).
Please submit a 1 page (maximum) letter of interest, telling us why you are interested in this role. This must also accompany a resume (maximum 2 pages) and a minimum of three professional/personal references. Any applications that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Please email your letter of interest, resume, and references to Brianna van de Wijngaard (Owner/Operator) at firstname.lastname@example.org . No phone calls please.
DEADLINE: JULY 3rd, 2020 @ 5pm
When applying, please mention you saw this job posting on youngagrarians.org
Learn More about Puddle Produce Farm
Check out their website: www.puddleproduce.ca