This position has been filled.
View more farm jobs and apprenticeships here.
Puddle Produce Farm in Soda Creek, BC (near Williams Lake) is seeking an Assistant Farm Manager for the 2021 season!
Puddle Produce Farm
Puddle Produce Farm is a small 1.5 acre certified organic vegetable farm established on a 70 acre property in the Soda Creek region of the Cariboo in BC (approximately 40kms north of Williams Lake). We grow 30-40 different vegetables and microgreens for the local farmers market, a CSA program, and retail.
About the Position
The farm manager is looking for 1 full-time committed Assistant Farm Manager from April-October. They will be second in command to allow the farm manager to focus on other farm obligations, and must be very organized, efficient, and experienced at managing staff.
- Assisting the farm manager in executing the seasonal farm plan, including planting/harvesting/delivery schedules:
- reviewing daily/weekly/monthly tasks such as transplanting/nursery plantings from spreadsheets
- harvest targets based on CSA pick-lists, market projections, and retail orders
- organizing CSA packing days
- Manage field staff and delegate daily/weekly tasks
- Assist with ensuring all nursery plantings, field plantings, and recording all field data is completed
- Data entry/bookkeeping where possible
- Assist running farmers market stand when needed
- All field work:
- Irrigation set up and maintenance
- Nursery set-up and maintenance
- Produce washing and processing
- Packing for CSA, wholesale and Farmers’ Market
- Weeding/maintaining plots
- General farm labor as needed
Skills and Abilities Required:
- A strong desire and interest in learning about or working in sustainable agriculture
- Mature and positive attitude
- Strong organizational skills
- Bookkeeping skills (Quickbooks) not necessary but considered a strong asset
- Must be very physically fit and energetic (must be able to lift minimum 50lbs repeatedly)
- Experience managing staff
- Fast learner and ability to adapt to new positions and working with new people
- Punctuality and strong time management skills
- Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed
- Ability to work in all weather situations
- Good people and customer service skills
- Ability to drive standard not necessary but considered an asset
Staying on the farm
There is a fully furnished 2 bdrm private suite on the farm available to the Assistant Farm Manager candidate, should they be relocating for the position. A small deduction of $250/month from wages is required to cover the cost of utilities supplied to the suite (internet/phone/heat/hydro). PLEASE NOTE: there is little to no cell reception on the property, but a landline is available to the Assistant Manager.
A personal vehicle will be required as there is no reliable transportation to/from the farm.
Term: April to October 2021
Wage: $20/hour, and includes all deductions and benefits as per provincial labour laws, as well as lots of veggies.
There is also a cash bonus for each staff member that commits to and completes the entire season (minimum October 1 end date for the Assistant Farm Manager).
Hours: The candidate will work a 40hr work week, and days are Mon-Fri with opportunities for overtime, if desired.
Please submit a 1 page (maximum) letter of interest, telling us why you are interested in this role. This must also accompany a resume (maximum 2 pages) and a minimum of three professional/personal references. Any applications that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Please email your letter of interest, resume, and references to Brianna van de Wijngaard (Owner/Operator) at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 12th, 2021 @ 5pm but applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so the earlier the better!
When applying, please mention you saw this job posting on youngagrarians.org
Learn More about Puddle Produce Farm
Check out their website: www.puddleproduce.ca