Puddle Produce Farm in Soda Creek, BC (near Williams Lake) is seeking an Assistant Farm Manager for the 2021 season!
Puddle Produce Farm
Puddle Produce Farm is a small 1.5 acre certified organic vegetable farm established on a 70 acre property in the Soda Creek region of the Cariboo in BC (approximately 40kms north of Williams Lake). We grow 30-40 different vegetables and microgreens for the local farmers market, a CSA program, and retail.
About the Position
The farm manager is looking for 1 full-time committed Assistant Farm Manager from April-October. They will be second in command to allow the farm manager to focus on other farm obligations, and must be very organized, efficient, and experienced at managing staff.
- Assisting the farm manager in executing the seasonal farm plan, including planting/harvesting/delivery schedules:
- reviewing daily/weekly/monthly tasks such as transplanting/nursery plantings from spreadsheets
- harvest targets based on CSA pick-lists, market projections, and retail orders
- organizing CSA packing days
- Manage field staff and delegate daily/weekly tasks
- Assist with ensuring all nursery plantings, field plantings, and recording all field data is completed
- Data entry/bookkeeping where possible
- Assist running farmers market stand when needed
- All field work:
- Irrigation set up and maintenance
- Nursery set-up and maintenance
- Produce washing and processing
- Packing for CSA, wholesale and Farmers’ Market
- Weeding/maintaining plots
- General farm labor as needed
Skills and Abilities Required:
- A strong desire and interest in learning about or working in sustainable agriculture
- Mature and positive attitude
- Strong organizational skills
- Bookkeeping skills (Quickbooks) not necessary but considered a strong asset
- Must be very physically fit and energetic (must be able to lift minimum 50lbs repeatedly)
- Experience managing staff
- Fast learner and ability to adapt to new positions and working with new people
- Punctuality and strong time management skills
- Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed
- Ability to work in all weather situations
- Good people and customer service skills
- Ability to drive standard not necessary but considered an asset
Staying on the farm
There is a fully furnished 2 bdrm private suite on the farm available to the Assistant Farm Manager candidate, should they be relocating for the position. A small deduction of $250/month from wages is required to cover the cost of utilities supplied to the suite (internet/phone/heat/hydro). PLEASE NOTE: there is little to no cell reception on the property, but a landline is available to the Assistant Manager.
A personal vehicle will be required as there is no reliable transportation to/from the farm.
Term: April to October 2021
Wage: $20/hour, and includes all deductions and benefits as per provincial labour laws, as well as lots of veggies.
There is also a cash bonus for each staff member that commits to and completes the entire season (minimum October 1 end date for the Assistant Farm Manager).
Hours: The candidate will work a 40hr work week, and days are Mon-Fri with opportunities for overtime, if desired.
Please submit a 1 page (maximum) letter of interest, telling us why you are interested in this role. This must also accompany a resume (maximum 2 pages) and a minimum of three professional/personal references. Any applications that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Please email your letter of interest, resume, and references to Brianna van de Wijngaard (Owner/Operator) at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 12th, 2021 @ 5pm but applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so the earlier the better!
When applying, please mention you saw this job posting on youngagrarians.org
Learn More about Puddle Produce Farm
Check out their website: www.puddleproduce.ca