Stowel Lake Farm on Salt Spring Island, BC is looking to hiring a full-time Farm Staff to work in their Market Garden!
ABOUT Stowel Lake Farm
Stowel Lake Farm is a thriving organic farm, retreat centre and community. Our Market Garden grows a diversity of vegetables, fruit, seeds, and plant starts on approximately 2 acres. We sell directly to our community through our onsite farm stand, retreat business, and a local Seed company. We use a no-till growing system, working with hand-tools and incorporating as much diversity throughout our gardens as possible.
We grow food with the intention of regenerating and restoring the land that we steward- increasing the organic matter in the soil, enhancing biodiversity, restoring ecosystems, working on closing nutrient and water loops through greater reliance on internal rather than external inputs.
We don’t use chemical sprays or fertilizers.
- At least one season farming
- A strong desire and interest to continue learning about Small-scale Market gardening
- Positive attitude that contributes to an efficient and enjoyable work environment
- Desire to contribute ideas and demonstrate problem solving abilities
- Physically fit and capable of repetitive physical tasks, in all types of weather.
- Knowledge of basic building and mechanical skills is an asset
- Self-motivated and hardworking
- Ability to work at a fast pace in groups or alone
- Able to initiate and direct basic farm tasks
As a member of our farm team, you will contribute to all aspects of our farm production. Training to our particular farming systems will be provided. Main Areas of work will include:
- Bed prep
- Nursery Work: Seeding and Potting-up
- Transplanting/ recording field data
- Pruning and Trellising crops
- Harvesting Vegetables
- Weed Management
- Irrigation setup and maintenance
- Washing / Packing Vegetables
- Fertility and Land Management
- Machine and Tool Maintenance
- Leading volunteers in work tasks
Term: April to October 2022- Seasonal Position
Hours per week: Monday to Friday- 40 hrs a week
Wage: $16-20/hr based on experience
Please submit a letter of interest, telling us a little about yourself and why you are interested in this role, as well as a resume and references to email@example.com
Deadline to apply: Feb 28, 2022
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Stowel Lake Farm