Salt & Harrow Farm in Delta and Parksville, BC is hiring Field and Market Staff for the 2019 season!
About Salt & Harrow Farm
Salt & Harrow Farm is a certified organic vegetable with farms in Delta, BC & Parksville, BC. Ten acres are devoted to vegetable production, producing over 50 varieties of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and herbs. We sell our produce at eight farmers markets, to restaurants, our Salt & Harrow Storehouse, and through a full-choice membership program.
We have a diverse farming operation, which requires a wide range of skills: greenhouse seedling production, field planting, weeding and harvesting, produce deliveries, building and repairing infrastructure. We work in a rural community with access to public transit. Be prepared for physically demanding work. We are committed to sharing our knowledge and promoting advancement for our employees. We work hard and want to share the rewards of this profession with aspiring farmers.
While some exposure to commercial agriculture is preferred, it is not required as long as one has a good attitude and work ethic.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A serious interest in farming as a lifestyle and/or livelihood
- Physical ability to carry out farm tasks (repetitive tasks, lifting 50 lbs. repeatedly during the day, crouching and bending for long periods)
- Lots of energy and highly motivated
- A mind for efficiency
- Attention to detail and ability to understand and execute quality standards
- Open and positive communication skills
- Willingness to learn
- A friendly personality and willingness to spend time with customers, chefs, and CSA members
- Class 5 Drivers License
- Ability to work outside for long periods of time in all weather conditions
- Be punctual; be prepared to work at the designated time, with the necessary tools, and proper clothing. Closed toed shoes are required at all times on the farm.
- Sense of humour!
- Potting mix preparation and propagation seeding
- Field and greenhouse planting
- Trellising and staking of crops
- Cultivation and weed control
- Organic pest control application and moving of row covers
- Harvesting and crop handling
- Post harvest washing, packing, and basic harvest record keeping
- Farmers market customer service and cash register operation
- Rotating farm chores (harvesting, propagation watering, mowing and farm maintenance)
Term: The Farm Hand position begins May 15th and ends November 15th. We cannot make commitments for work beyond the end date. The work will vary during the season as each change in temperature provides a new focus for the work that needs to be done. We share a meal as a crew every week and this is an opportunity to ask questions and enjoy the bounty of the farm.
Two weeks advance notice is required for vacation breaks.
Hours: This is a full-time, seasonal position, approx. 40-50 hrs/week, with some room for flexibility if additional help is needed.
Wage: Farm Hands are paid $15/hr. with 4% vacation pay and access to farm vegetables.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Find Salt & Harrow Farm Online
Check out the Salt & Harrow Farm website.