This position has been filled.
Salix and Sedge Farm in Salmo, BC is seeking a Farm Worker for the 2022 season!
ABOUT Salix and Sedge Farm
Salix and Sedge is a certified organic farm located in the Salmo Valley, and is owned and operated by Brendan and Cali who began farming in 2015.
We farm approximately one acre of land. This includes land that we lease from our neighbours where we grow a diversity of field crops and have a couple of unheated tunnels. We also have a year-round heated greenhouse on our land where we grow primarily tomatoes and cucumbers in the spring and summer, and greens in the fall and winter. We have a tractor and a walk-behind tractor for certain tasks, but make use of hand tools for the bulk of our work.
We produce a wide range of vegetables primarily for our bustling, roadside farm stand which is going into its third season of operation. We also sell our produce to a few local retailers, a CSA program, and provide produce to the Salmo Food Bank.
We are looking for two hard-working, positive, and team-oriented individuals to work alongside us this season to help us manage our growing farm operation.
We are a certified organic through the Kootenay Organic Growers Society.
Our mission is to grow nutritious, high quality food for our community while maintaining the rich diversity in our farm-wetland ecosystem.
Our aim is to farm using ecological practices, provide a comfortable living wage to ourselves and our employees, create a manageable work-life balance, and work in a fun and supportive team culture.
- Positive attitude and willingness to contribute to a supportive team culture
- Strong communication skills
- Able to work both independently and in a team environment
- Attention to detail
- Able to work in a fast paced environment
- The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in farming
- Previous vegetable farm work experience is an asset
- Able to lift 50lbs and do physical work outdoors in any weather
- Must have weather and task appropriate clothing (Rain gear, rubber boots, sun protection, and light, breathable clothing are essential)
- Basic first aid training is an asset
- Ability to operate small machinery is an asset
- harvest crops
- wash, pack, and label produce for sale
- weed and cultivate
- transplant crops
- wash bins for harvesting and delivering produce
- prune and trellis tomatoes and cucumbers
- sow seeds in soil blocks according to seeding schedule
- inventory and stock farm stand
- make potting soil
- maintain the electric fence
- record keeping
- tarp soil for protection and weed control
- amend the soil with prescription of minerals and fertilizers
- help with small construction projects such as field tunnels
Term: April through October
Hours per week: 32-40 hrs/week
- Farm Stand Dollars Card to purchase veggies from our farm stand
- Mentoring in farming skills and techniques
- Opportunity to acquire skills in greenhouse management and operation, pest and disease management for vegetable crops, soil health management, small business operation and management, light construction skills, and growing food from seed to harvest
- Working outside every day in a beautiful setting
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org