Saanich Organics, in Saanichton, BC, is seeking a Seed Manager!
Saanich Organics is seeking a manager for its seed saving farm, Seeds of the Revolution, located in Saanichton. This is a full-time position with the option of time off in the winter. The ideal candidate is a hard worker with farming and seed growing background, and is ready for a self-directed but supported experience with the rad farmers of Saanich Organics!
We are looking for someone who is positive, energetic, hardworking, and passionate about seed production and sustainable agriculture. Highly self-motivated and capable of working alone or managing a group. Great communication and organizational skills are necessary. Preference is given to candidates willing to commit to a long-term position.
Seeds of the Revolution (SOR) grows over 100 varieties of organic certified vegetable and flower seeds. The seeds are sold through our online store, at retail locations in Victoria, wholesale to local farmers and to the BC Eco-Seed co-op. We also attend Seedy Saturday events and participate in online seed events. In addition to seed production and sales, the SOR manager is responsible for some fresh vegetable production, mainly strawberries and salad greens, as a way to increase the revenue to the seed farm and to supply Saanich Organics with high demand items for its CSA and retail customers. The seed manager is responsible for managing approximately 1.25 acres of land.
Throughout peak growing season, the seed manager will roughly split their time between fresh production and seed production. In the fall and winter the majority of time will be spent cleaning and packing seed, maintaining seed databases and webstore, crop planning and increasing personal knowledge of best practices in seed production. Harvest of salad greens for Saanich Organics continues throughout fall and winter but reduces significantly. Spring is a busy period for seed with many online orders to fill and the restock of all seed racks in retail locations. The seed manager works alone or with 1-2 field hands, depending on the time of year. Saanich Organics owners are available for support whenever needed, as well as the outgoing seed manager.
Main duties of the seed manager include:
- Producing high quality seed based on industry best practices (attention to isolation distances, population sizes, trait selection, etc)
- Cleaning, storing and packing seed
- Crop planning and tracking the crop production cycle for organic certification records
- Managing sales of bulk seeds to other growers, to the BC Eco Seed co-op and to our own farms affiliated with Saanich Organics
- Managing the packet sales of seeds to: retail outlets, Seedy Saturday events, markets and our box program.
- Communicating with Saanich Organics owners and our customers
- Attending seed sales and seed events where possible
- Planting and maintaining fresh salad beds and strawberry field
- Hiring and managing staff throughout peak growing season, willingness to mentor summer co-op student is an asset
Hiring immediately. Time commitment is approximately 40 hours a week between the months of April through November, dropping to about 20 hours a week through winter. Competitive wage offered. Interested parties please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
Learn more about Saanich Organics: