Duration: early May till mid October, 2017. Approx. 40 hours/week; 5 days/week (Monday-Friday). Variability of hours correspond to busy times of the season. (Jun-Aug. ~40+hrs/wk, May, Sept, Oct. ~30-35hrs/wk
About Rootdown Farm
We are a Certified Organic Farm nestled in the Pemberton Valley among the Coast Range mountains. We grow a variety of vegetables and market them locally to the Pemberton and Whistler communities through a weekly CSA Harvest Box program, restaurants and grocery retailers. We are committed to providing the finest of Pemberton produce and enjoy good food and hard work.
Our farm team is responsible for planting, weeding, harvesting and processing 25+ varieties of vegetables. We are in search of hard-working, self-motivated individuals. We require staff to be physically fit who enjoy the satisfaction of a job well-done, and are committed to providing a good product and service to our customers in a timely and efficient manner. The farm is a fast paced environment with deadlines and task lists. Staff should display a fine balance of efficiency and speediness, while maintaining quality of product and service to our customers.
Successful candidates must enjoy working outside in all conditions and must be okay with repetitive tasks, dirty hands, sweaty conditions and soaking mud. Work is done in all types of weather (rain, heat, bugs, etc.), and staff must be able to handle these conditions. Prior farm experience is an asset, and pay will be reflective of relevant experience.
At Rootdown Farm we try and maintain a positive, open minded and fun work place with the flexibility to learn many farming techniques, if desired.
- Seeding, transplanting and weeding vegetable crops
- Harvesting, cleaning and packing vegetables (must be able to lift 20kg).
- Operating irrigation
- Being accountable for harvest orders and packing details
- Displaying a task-focused and detail-oriented approach to daily duties.
- Giving direction to a crew of volunteers on occasion.
- Able to problem solve and improvise in uncertain conditions
- Maintaining a strong work ethic
- Effectively communicating; being open and honest and displaying a commitment to resolving conflict in a productive and mature way.
- Arriving on time, prepared to work, and being aware of our flexible schedule as the weather and daylight change (Start times vary throughout the season from 8 to 6 AM depending on temperature and daylight).
The initial wage for this position is $13.00/hour. Staff will also have access to free vegetables for their own consumption. Wage increases throughout the season are possible depending on performance. Additionally, we offer an “End-of-Season” bonus of $0.50/hr.
How to Apply
Interested folk should send resume to Simone by email at email@example.com. Please include a cover letter describing your motivations to apply for this job and the specific skills/experience you have that match the work description and would prepare you for the challenges of organic vegetable production and farm work.