Sky Harvest is hiring a Microgreen & Indoor Farm Operations Specialist for their certified organic urban microgreen farm in Richmond (near Vancouver), BC.
ABOUT SKY HARVEST
Sky Harvest is Canada’s first certified organic, urban farm. Our work transforms the urban landscape, improves access to healthy produce and provides a place of community, education and work for local residents. Our current focus is growing microgreens and delivering them by bicycle to Vancouver’s top chefs and grocery stores.
Our day-to-day activities are driven by three core values:
- Lead by example: Providing a strong example of corporate social responsibility in business
- Inspire and assist: Spur the adoption of sustainability principles into others’ operations whenever feasible
- Innovate: Use innovation to move society towards sustainability and thrive-ability
The primary objective of this position is to be responsible for quality control (during harvest days), help coordinate and understand all operational components of the farm and to increase farm efficiencies. Being able to participate in bike delivery of our greens is an asset.
This position reports directly to the Production Manager & Farm Administrator.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist Production Manager in coordinating staff and workflow for harvest days
- Responsible for Quality Control during harvest
- Identify operational “pinch points” and make recommendations to increase the efficiency of harvesting
- Assist Production Manager with daily tasks including, but not limited to:
- Preparation of the growing area and equipment (cleaning, mopping, sweeping, etc.)
- Soil & compost management
- Sterilizing and planting trays
- Support production workers with harvesting as needed
- Bike delivery of our greens across the city is ideal but not necessary
- High School Graduate
- Any training relevant to either sustainability or farming
- Strong cycling skills are an asset (though not a requirement) in order to participate in deliveries across the city in any weather
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent time management skills
- Solid analytical skills
- Attention to detail is a must and experience with quality control is an asset
- Reliable and committed to the position and company
- Must be able to perform physical labour daily
- Excellent communications skills and strong collaborative ability
- Well-versed using Excel, Word and Google docs
The reasonable orientation period for a fully qualified candidate is 6 weeks.
The probationary period for this position is 3 months.
HOURS OF WORK
5 days/week (Wednesday & Fridays are mandatory) with varying times but generally between 7am to 5pm. Alternating weekends.
$29,000-33,000 /year to start plus Extended Health Benefits, Hot yoga membership, plus daily greens and additional staff perks. Room to grow within the company and gain responsibilities.
Please submit an introduction of yourself, why you think you would be a good fit with us (cover letter), and a resume AND clearly note your qualifications based on each of the above “required skills knowledge and abilities to: aaron(at)skyharvest.ca. Also indicate if you are a strong cyclist and would be able to do regular bike deliveries.
Learn More About Sky Harvest
SEE MORE FARM JOBS AND APPRENTICESHIPS ON OUR BLOG.