This position has been filled.
The Front Yard Flower Co. in Richmond, BC is seeking a Field + Flower Worker!
ABOUT The Front Yard Flower Co.
The Front Yard Flower Co. is a multi-site urban farm based out of Vancouver and Richmond that grows unique and spray free flowers and herbs for farmer’s markets, bouquet subscriptions and wholesale florists. We provide local flowers that are grown using natural and sustainable methods so customers can be sure that they are receiving the freshest, safest product to enjoy in their homes or at their events.
The farm is not certified organic but we follow many methods that are from adding as much organic material to the beds as possible, encouraging beneficial insects and other wildlife to control pest populations, cover cropping to add nutrients to the soil and not using any synthetic inputs (ie. herbicides, pesticides, etc.)
- Keen interest in learning about or experience in working with flowers (horticultural, landscaping, floral, etc.)
- Some experience in previous design or bouquet work an asset
- Highly motivated and able to work efficiently and effectively
- Able to work outside in all conditions from heat to cold with a positive attitude
- Physically able to bend, kneel, stand and lift up to 50 lbs
- Able to follow instruction and complete tasks correctly in a timely manner
- Ability to pay attention to details and a high quality of work
- Required reliable vehicle to access the farm
- Ability to take in instruction and feedback and asking for guidance when required
- Ability to work with others in a team and alone in tasks
- Harvest flower and herb crops properly and efficiently according to instruction
- Prepare materials for harvest days (water buckets, elastic bands, snips, etc.)
- Maintain accurate harvesting records
- Make and arrange bouquets for subscription customers and farmer’s markets as well as other floral items
- Preparations for farmers market days (making sure all the market items are ready to pack)
- Other field tasks as required (weeding, planting, seeding, general farm upkeep and organization)
- Able to work effectively and efficiently unsupervised
- Able to work early mornings and in all weather conditions from heat to cold with a good attitude
- Must be available to work every Friday and Saturday
Term: The position starts in late April and will go until the end of October, with the possibility of staying on for longer.
Hours per week: The position begins with part time hours and progresses into full time hours mid to late June.
Wage: The hourly wage is $16 (+4% vacation pay). There will be flowers to take home for personal use if you like!
If you are interested in applying, please send a resume along with a cover letter and at least two references to Rose Dykstra at email@example.com with ‘Field + Flower Worker’ in the subject line. In your cover letter, please specify your age as we might have access to student summer funding for this position.
Thank so much to all who apply but only the successful candidates will be contacted.
Deadline to apply: March 22, 2021
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org