The Front Yard Flower Co. in Richmond, BC is seeking a Field Crew/Farmers Market Worker!
ABOUT The Front Yard Flower Co.
The Front Yard Flower Co. is a 3-acre small scale flower farm based out of the scenic fishing hamlet of Steveston, located in Richmond, BC. This unique farm is one of a kind in Metro Vancouver growing fresh, spray free flowers for farmers markets, bouquet subscriptions, wholesale, DIY Botanical Buckets, and custom bouquet orders. The Front Yard Flower Co.’s mission is to provide high quality locally grown flowers that can inspire joy and wonder in the natural world and our goal eventually is to provide a boutique on-farm experience where guests can see first-hand what a working flower farm looks like.
The Front Yard Flower Co. provides local flowers that are grown using natural,
sustainable methods so customers can be sure that they are receiving the freshest,
safest product to enjoy in their homes or at their events. We use various methods of farming from mowing and tilling with our tractor, cover cropping, utilizing organic fertilizer inputs and compost.
- Keen interest in learning about or experience in working with flowers (horticultural, landscaping, floral, etc.)
- Previous farm experience is an asset but not required
- Highly motivated and able to work efficiently and effectively
- Physically able to lift and move heavy things (around 25kg at the most)
- Motivated and can work efficiently
- Punctual and ready to work with a good attitude in all types of weather (rain, heat, cold, mud)
- Works well in a team environment and on solo tasks
- Able to follow detailed instructions in a timely fashion
- Ability to pay attention to details and high quality of work
- Adaptable in quickly changing situations with good problem-solving skills
- Excellent customer service skills, retail experience is an asset
- Creative thinker with a passion for flowers, good design, and sharing your knowledge of locally grown flowers with others
- Must have reliable vehicle access to the farm in Richmond as we are a bit of a distance from the nearest bus stop
- Harvest flower and herb crops properly and efficiently according to instruction
- Prepare materials for harvest days (water buckets, elastic bands, snips, etc.)
- Preparations for farmers market days (ie. making bouquets, organizing and sorting flowers)
- Other field tasks as required (weeding, planting, seeding, general farm upkeep and organization)
- Able to work alone effectively and efficiently unsupervised
- Able to work early mornings and in all weather conditions from heat to cold with a good attitude
- Work a farmer’s market stall on Saturdays (West End) and Sundays (Mt. Pleasant), which requires some retail and customer service experience, and attention to detail
- Must be able to work Wednesdays to Sundays
Term: The start date is as soon as possible and will continue in the fall season into late October/early November, perhaps longer depending on the weather.
Hours per week: This is a full-time position with hours ranging from 30-40 a week.
Wage: The wage is between $16-18/hr, depending on the level of experience. There will be opportunities to take home farm fresh flowers!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org your completed resume along with a little cover letter introducing yourself. This posting will be open until the position is filled, only successful applicants will be contacted regarding the position.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org