Nour-ish Farm in Qualicum Beach, BC is seeking full-time & part-time Farm Crew members for the 2021 season!
ABOUT Nour-ish Farm
Who we are: Lorne and Cindy, not really farmers by choice, instead we like to say we are accidental farmers who are now entering our 10th season farming a successful farm following organic practices that we named Nour-ish Farm, which we operate and sell delicious veggies at the local farmers market, a box program as well as our farm store on our property. Cindy, loves playing in the dirt, gets excited about flowers, enjoys everything Nature offers, dislikes cooking but loves eating and is enthusiastic about farming. Lorne loves fishing, the forest is his comfort zone, surrounded by Nature is where he loves to be, dislikes boring and enjoys adventure….did I mention fishing? 🙂 Together, we now eat healthy, live right, love where we live, laugh lots and care deeply for the life we have together. We are looking again for awesome dynamic individuals that want to further their farming skills by joining our farm team for the 2021 season and hopefully beyond, we value our farm hands and know that having a team that works well together where everyone puts in a great effort enables us and our team to finish work at a normal time which allows for time to enjoy fishing, hiking, biking or just a walk or swim at the beach.
Who you are:
- Eligible to work in Canada
- You have minimum 1 year working on a production market garden farm for profit, no
experience required for the part time position)
- You enjoy and are able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- You are able to perform physically demanding jobs, endure heaving lifting, accept
repetitive tasks, and be ok with squatting, bending and standing for long periods of time.
- You are upbeat, motivated, have great physical and mental stamina, physical dexterity and have a strong work ethic
- You are a team player with good communication skills along with being able to work solo
- You are respectful, a creative problem solver and receptive to constructive feedback
- Someone who will tell us who you really are, and not what you think we want to hear:)
What your duties and responsibilities will be:
- Record keeping including crop management, fertility inputs, seeding, planting and sales and inventory tracking
- Maintaining and following weekly farm schedules including irrigation, crop rotation and planning, bed preparation, fertility requirements, farm maps, and propagation
schedules for seeding, potting up and transplanting
- Working alternating farmers market hours and being flexible with extra hours of work if need be
- Observations of overall farm operations and working together as a team to discuss any problems or solutions to be able to achieve weekly farm goals, and finish scheduled tasks ensuring the farm is running efficiently
- Some farm infrastructure projects, farm maintenance, poultry chores, flower care, mowing, weed whacking or mowing grass or weeds as need be, flame weeding
- Willing to learn to operate a walking tractor (BCS) and possibly a real tractor if Santa is good to us?
- Maintaining quality standards in field work and post harvest at a quick pace
- Seeding, transplanting, weeding, harvesting and processing, shovelling, raking, rock
picking, broad forking, greenhouse growing, winding and pruning, compost tea applications
There are 2 full-time and 1 part-time positions available.
2 full time seasonal positions:
Term: April 5th- mid October (approx)
Wages: $15.20/hour + 4% vacation pay + a performance bonus paid at the end of season for successful achievement of the farm plan (eg. wage can range from $15.20-20.00/hr)
1 part time seasonal position:
Term: May 17th-September (approx) (no experience required)
Wages: $15.20/hr + 4% vacation pay
What we have to offer you!!
- Help you become a successful farmer, providing you with more than just growing food skills but sharing with you all the challenges, successes and business savvy including marketing skills that it takes to run your own farm along with having fun doing it and not getting burnt out!
- On farm accommodation available and yummy delicious veggies (details can be discussed during an interview…please no pets or significant others:)
- Work/life balance on a farm, work smarter not harder:) (maybe a break to the beach on an extremely hot day:)
- We are located 8 minutes driving to downtown Qualicum Beach, we are surrounded by hiking/biking trails, have great beaches and lakes close by, awesome mountains to climb, fantastic fishing, caving……
- A non smoking farm, organic practices and a happy lifestyle
- A kickass harvest area that runs efficiently, tools that aren’t broken, a sweet veggie
propagation starter house with friendly cute cats that patrol it:)
We are looking forward to hearing from you!! 🙂 Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line please put “I want to farm” and then tell us why in your cover letter:)
Please let us know which position you are applying for, full time or part time?
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org