Blueberry Commons Farm Cooperative in Powell River, BC is seeking an Organic Farm Assistant!
ABOUT Blueberry Commons Farm Cooperative
We are on 16 acres of beautiful land with a mix of forest, field, and meadow. We have two acres of vegetable production and we market our produce through a CSA, farm gate sales, farmer’s markets and sales to local retailers. We produce 25-30 varieties of vegetable and herbs and 5-10 varieties of fruit; our top sellers for 2021 were squash, blueberries, potatoes, cucumbers, and garlic. Staff are trained to operate our BCS two-wheel tractor.
We are a cooperative farming project aiming to create a new (old) model for local, sustainable agriculture. Now in our third year, we expect to achieve organic certification this year. In addition to the farm, we are developing a multi-generational cohousing project on a lot next to the farm.
- Ability to undertake repetitive physical work outdoors in all kinds of weather (rain, wind, heat and cold!) for several hours at a time
- Demonstrated interest in organic farming or gardening and local food security
- Previous hands-on gardening, farming, landscaping or related experience
- Ability to work with and support a diverse group of volunteers, coop members, and visitors to the farm
- Ability to stay on task while working alone and willingness to collaborate on tasks with others
- Working with a team of staff and volunteers in the operations of a young organic farm growing a range of vegetables, herbs, blueberries and fruits
- Planting, weeding, harvesting, processing vegetables, herbs, berries and fruits
- Operating small farm equipment
- Assisting with programs for school students on the farm
- Serving farm stand customers, assisting farm stand volunteers
- Preparation, set up and selling at our weekly Farmers’ Market
Term: Total of 20-22 weeks beginning late April or early May
Hours per week: 35 hours per week (working schedule TBD and may include weekend market)
Wage: $15.20 to $17.00 per hour depending on experience
Please send a resume and a brief statement of your interest to email@example.com
We welcome applications from all interested parties. Applicants from outside of the region will need to secure their own housing (assistance for this will be offered where possible).
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org