This position has been filled.
Edwin County Farms in Picton, ON is hiring a Team Lead for the 2021 season!
About Edwin County Farms
Edwin County Farms is a bio-diverse farm in Prince Edward County, Ontario. Our 700 acre farm includes a 2 acre intensively planted market garden for vegetables and cut flowers. The farm also produces organic beef, grain and maple syrup. We sell to local chefs and restaurants and feed our community through local farmers’ markets and our on-site farmstand.
Prince Edward County is nestled into the Eastern end of Lake Ontario, along the shores of the Bay of Quinte. With over 30 wineries and cideries and its many restaurants, the County has become a top food and wine destination for culinary enthusiasts. Access the water through the beaches and parks including Sandbanks Provincial Park and many other hidden away destinations. The summer and fall play host to Classical, jazz, and country music festivals as well as theatre.
Our mission is to produce high quality, naturally grown vegetables and flowers to nourish our community as well as to provide a safe environment and sustainable lifestyle for our employees. We have a work culture that strives to be inclusive, productive, efficient, organized, and fun!
Under the direction of the market garden director, the team lead will participate in all aspects of the organic vegetable and cut flower production, from seed to harvest. This includes:
- work closely with the market garden manager and take on the position of a strong second to occasionally direct the farm crew in harvest and other tasks
- oversee and take responsibility for the wash and pack station
- seedling production work (making potting soil, seeding trays)
- establishment & upkeep of crops (planting and weeding)
- installation of field materials including caterpillar tunnels, geotextiles, row covers, irrigation
- vegetable harvest (possibly some flower harvest as well)
- post-harvest operations: washing, sorting, weighing, bagging
- bed prep using the broadfork and BCS in the field greenhouses and tractor in the fields
- recording field and sales data
Term: Mid-April to beginning of November
Hours: This is a full-time position. We work Monday to Friday 40-50 hour weeks depending on the month with a 1hr lunch break
Accommodation: Living arrangements are in a private room with a shared bathroom and full kitchen. Free access to surplus vegetables and we will stock the pantry with staples.
Wage: Wage is $15/hr. One week pre-arranged unpaid vacation during the season.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: April 24, 2021
When applying, please mention you saw this job posting at youngagrarians.org
Learn More About Edwin County Farms