Pemberton Haven Farms in Pemberton, BC is seeking a Farm/Growing Manager!
ABOUT Pemberton Haven Farms
We are a market garden farm growing in the beautiful Pemberton Meadows 10 minutes up Pemberton Meadows Rd from Pemberton BC. Our crops include Carrots, Beets, Head Lettuce, Radish, Turnip, Kale to name a few. We utilize the 30″ raised bed system, we minimize tillage, we broadfork and amend our beds with organic components to enhance fertility. Our favourite farm machine is the BCS. We sell our produce to Grocery Stores, Restaurants and Hotels along the Sea to Sky corridor.
We believe in growing high quality organic produce, to achieve this we work on maintaining healthy soils and improving soils on areas of the farm that require them. We don’t believe in spraying or applying chemicals to our fields.
Pemberton Haven Farms is looking for a dedicated, ambitious and skilled Farm Manager to lead all growing operations to achieve its revenue goal of $500,000 for the season. We are looking for someone who is passionate about community-based regenerative agriculture, advancing the local food system and has extensive experience in land-based agriculture production. We are also looking for a farm manager who has good farm business acumen as Pemberton Haven Farms is committed to becoming a significant local food producer supplying to high-end restaurants and grocery stores across the region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide frequent communication with Pemberton Haven Farms management team on the progress and status of Growing Plan execution
- Maintain clear and accurate production records including inputs, seeding, planting, yields, harvesting, marketing, and crop rotation
- Record keeping necessary for the Transitionary Organic Certification process
- Manage/ oversee all crop production operations (crop planning, field layout, seeding, tending to the crops, harvesting, post-harvest handling)
- Manage the overall farm operations (farm plan, farm work schedule, equipment
maintenance, site and infrastructure maintenance)
- Communicate with the Pemberton Haven Farms management of farm needs
- Handle procurement needs of the farm
- Ensure that produce grown is of the highest quality; ensure that all produce meet food safety, packaging and quality standards
- Ensure that crop plan is executed per the plan to fulfil and achieve the $500,000
- Assist the management team with fostering buyer relationships as needed
- Recruit and hire 2 farm staff for the growing season
- Provide orientation to staff regarding the farm site, growing plan, safety regulations and work place expectations and standards etc.
- Develop a work plan and schedule of tasks for all farm staff
- Provide direction, instruction and guidance on completing all farm tasks
- Evaluate staff performance and ensure that tasks are completed to standard
Term: Start date is TBD, 8-10 month duration.
Hours per week: 40 hours per week on average, but hours will increase during the height of the season, and may have to work some weekends.
Wage: This is a contract position available for 8-10 months. Compensation is $50,000 to $62,000 with a bonus structure at the end of the season with successful execution of the operation plan.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Pemberton Haven Farms