Vintage Soil Farm in Ottawa, Ontario is seeking two Part-Time Field Hands!
After a wonderful first season Vintage Soil Farm is expanding and we’re looking for 2 part-time farmers to join our team from May 2nd-Sep 30th outside of Kemptville, ON!
ABOUT Vintage Soil Farm
Our mission is cultivating soil, food, and community sustainably. VS is a small scale mixed vegetable farm. We grow on rented land outside of Kemptville, ON. We rent 5.5 field acres (with 2.5 acres of veggies and the rest being rotational cover crop) and we distribute our veg through a CSA program, 2 farmers markets, and the Little Blue Barn (our farm stand).
VS is primarily draft and human powered with the occasional tractor use when needed. We grow in accordance to the organic certification standards but are not yet certified.
Please note- Although Abby and Kenny (our draft team) LOVE meeting new people, these positions will focus on what we do best, which is growing great food for our community with future generations in mind.
*Driving our draft team will not be a part of any staff positions.*
- Are you hardworking and reliable?
- Do you enjoy working alone?
- Do you have your full drivers license?
- Do you have reliable transportation to the farm?
- Do you have experience working outside in a physically demanding job in all types of weather (i.e. landscaping, tree planting, farming etc)?
- Do you value open and honest communication?
- Are you interested in starting your own farm one day?
- Are you looking to learn more about small scale farming?
- Do you have experience working with horses?
If you answered yes to a lot of these questions, keep on reading!
We are a small farm with a small team. You must be comfortable working alone and taking initiative. We will be a 2-3 person team and working alone is going to be a regular occurrence. But, you will also be working closely and alongside the owner, Isabelle. Isabelle farmed for 6 years in ON, BC, and QC (including management at 3 farms for 4 years) prior to starting Vintage Soil Farm. There is a lot of potential for knowledge sharing.
There will be the opportunity to be involved in many aspects of the farm:
- Greenhouse management
- Irrigation management
- Post harvest and CSA packing
- Minor infrastructure projects
- Farm stand management
- And more!
If you are coming to the farm with previous farming experience we can work together to include areas of particular interest into your daily tasks. As we are on rented land and going into our second season, we are still working on refining our systems and you can have the opportunity to help us do this!
Term: May 2nd to September 30th (18 weeks) (there may be potential for work in October)
Hours per week: PT1 – 14 hr/week
PT2 – 21hr/week
Wage: Starting wage is $16+/hr
No living accommodation available as VS is on rented land.
- Health & Wellness stipend (PT1 – $200 and PT2 – $300)
- 2 Paid sick days
- Access to fresh, seasonal vegetables
- Wage review after 3 months
Please send your resume and a cover letter to Isabelle at email@example.com and indicate in the email tagline whether you are applying for PT1 or PT2.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org