The Nelson Park Community Garden in Vancouver, BC is seeking a part time Community Garden Maintenance Assistant for the 2019 season.
About The Nelson Park Community Garden
The Nelson Park Community Garden Association is a Non-Profit Community Garden located in Nelson Park in Vancouver’s West End. We are made up of 83 Garden Plots individually maintained by members of the neighborhood, and two small communal show gardens. This park is also the home to Mole Hill and the West End Farmer’s Market.
This year for the first time, in an effort to maintain the common areas of the garden, we are seeking a paid intern to serve as a contract Garden Maintenance Assistant to help maintain the garden during the spring and summer months.
- Maintaining the existing show gardens and ensuring the overall acceptable appearance of common areas of the garden, including but not limited to paths, grassy areas, etc.
- Leading work parties with the help of volunteer community garden members. These happen twice a month and are 2 hours long.
- Maintaining an existing compost system that exists on site at the garden, with the help of volunteer community garden members.
- Service, repair, and maintain all garden tools, and property (limited to small tools, nothing mechanical, hoses, and 2 small sheds). These are very basic repairs. If something breaks, you’d just go to Home Hardware with garden budget money to replace a small tool, for example.
- Communicating with the city and the membership regarding incidents in the garden, needles that are found, vandalism, etc. For example, you would call the needle removal hotline if there is a needle found, you would not be responsible for moving it yourself.
- Other tasks as needed (various things can come up throughout the season).
- Must live near the West End or be able to get to the West End within a reasonable amount of time.
- Access to email and a cell phone so you can be reached.
- Ability to lift ~35 lbs.
- Knowledge of and interest in gardening, tools of gardening, and very basic maintenance abilities.
Wage: $20 per hour
Hours: Approximately 20 hours a month. We can be very flexible about the hours, as you are allowed to complete the required on your own time as long as the work is getting done.
Term: April to September, 2019
This position reports to the volunteer Board of Directors.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know why you would like this position. Most important to us is why you would like it, that you are available during these months, and that you would enjoy it. We really just want someone capable, reliable, and who would enjoy spending time in the garden.
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.