Puzzlegrass Farm in Naramata, BC is seeking a Farm Hand!
ABOUT Puzzlegrass Farm
We are currently growing on approximately 1 acre of land in Naramata, B.C. We grow approximately 45 different types of vegetables with around 140 different varieties. We also have a small orchard beside our apiary where we care for four bee hives. In 2022 we will be adding over 25 different types of flowers to our farm and taking over the apple orchard on the property. We have a 70 person CSA program and can be found at the Penticton Farmers’ Market on Saturday throughout the growing season.
We are not certified organic however we follow organic practices. We value our friendships and creating a peaceful and fun workplace.
- Have labourer experience although this is not required
- Care about the quality of their work and pay special attention to detail
- Show initiative
- Work fast and with the intention to be quick to learn
- Have the ability to maintain focus throughout long stretches of repetitive tasks
- Are motivated when working alone and can work well as a team
- Are receptive to feedback and adjustments
- Have a great work ethic, a positive attitude, and be a communicator
- Are friendly with customers
- Show an interest in agriculture and learning, even better if you want your own farm one day
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Able to work outdoors and dress appropriately and safely for the day (the sun and heat of the Okanagan)
- Ability to get to work and have accommodation in Penticton or Naramata
- Let us know of any chronic injuries (knees, back, hands, wrists)
- Between the ages of 15-30
We encourage applicants from youth who identify as BIPOC, Indigenous or those facing barriers to employment.
In the spring, worker will help with seeding, bed prep, transplanting, weeding, harvesting and infrastructure set-up. As the season progresses into June, more time is spent weeding and harvesting, washing and packing as well are preparing for our CSA farm pick up. We continue succession planting and harvesting through August.
Term: Full-time May 16th to August 8th, M-F with the possibility of extension to the end of November.
Hours per week: 35hrs/week
What we can offer you:
- A fun and inclusive work place
- Employers who value work life balance
- Opportunities to learn about floral arrangements and honeybees
- Weekly vegetables from the farm
- Opportunity for mentorship
- Working outside in the fresh air with swim breaks at the lake
Please send us a letter of intent, resume and please include two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can tell you more about our farm practices too.
Deadline to apply: ASAP
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Puzzlegrass Farm
View more Farm Jobs and Apprenticeships on our Job Board