Nanaimo Foodshare Society, in Nanaimo, BC, is seeking an IRP Farm Manager!
Nanaimo Foodshare Urban Farms Project (Five Acre Farm and Cline Farm)
Nanaimo Foodshare has two urban farm locations with ~4 acres in production and a large greenhouse located off farm(s). The farms work with multiple community groups learning skills in agriculture and contributing volunteer labour to the farm. The farm is non certified organic, producing for a weekly Good Food Box, online, farmers market, local caterer and restaurant sales.
You would be working with the Farm Mentor to plan, grow and harvest local vegetables for two farm sites (Cline Agri-Health Centre located at 2090 Skaha Drive, and the 5 Acres Farm located at 945 Park Ave) and a greenhouse location (3300 Hallberg Rd).
The successful candidate will be willing to work in all weather conditions, work with a dynamic farm site with multiple user groups and be able to plan and coordinate work with volunteers of all abilities and varying farm work experience. The successful candidate will be resourceful, a team player, and able to meet goals and deadlines.
The mandate of the farm is to engage the community in learning agriculture skills. There are many people who contribute and learn at the farms. These include school age children through to seniors. We host employability skills training at the farm and volunteers and youth contribute daily to the dynamic team. The non profit organizations that partner to support the farm project are Nanaimo Foodshare and Growing Opportunities Farm Community Coop. The farms grow for the good Food Box program and offer produce to the program at or below wholesale prices. Other sales contribute to supporting employment at the farm and the costs of production.
These are urban farm locations, and challenging to certify organic. The farms use organic practices adhering to certified organic standards.
- Minimum 2 years farm management experience in vegetable production
- Experience seeding, transplanting, maintaining, and harvesting crops
- Experience training and working with volunteers
- Good Communication skills
- Good Organizational skills
- Positive, outgoing, team oriented
- Supervisory experience
- Class 4 drivers license an asset
- A person who enjoys working with people of all abilities in a dynamic team setting
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide on-site mentorship and support for various programs using the farm sites, as well as farm workers
- Plan and execute a farm plan for the season with the Farm Mentor
- Have open and timely communication with Farm Mentor, Program Coordinators, and Clients
- Plan and develop a farm-based Social Enterprise, with support from Farm Mentor and Nanaimo Foodshare staff
- Volunteer Coordination for individuals and groups wanting to volunteer on farm sites
- Provide tours of the farm sites to various community and school groups
- Work with a multi-faceted team to achieve goals (teamwork is key!)
Start date: Jan 2021.
Term: the position is funded for 34 weeks. With an option to continue based on income generated from farm sales.
Hours per week: 24
Wage: $21 to start with an option to increase.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Deadline to apply: November 21, 2020
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
Learn more about Nanaimo Foodshare
Download their Annual Report 2020: Foodshare-Annual-Report-2020.pdf (17 downloads)
See the job posting document here: IRP-Farm-Manager-Job-AD.docx