Growing Opportunities Farm Community Co-op in Nanaimo, BC is seeking a Farm Manager – Education Coordinator!
ABOUT Growing Opportunities Farm Community Co-op
Growing Opportunities has two urban farm locations in Nanaimo BC with ~8 acres in production.
We produce mainly field vegetables to sell to community food box programs and at farm markets. This position will collaborate with VI Blueberries (https://www.facebook.com/viblueberries/) to manage the blueberry pick for ~6 weeks.
Growing Opportunities focuses on the use of hand tools but does have a BCS for some bed prep activities. The farms are not certified organic but do employ organic practices to improve soil health.
The farm works with multiple community groups learning skills in agriculture and contributing volunteer labor to the farm. The goal of the farm project is to build a sustainable local food system to: combat climate change by lowering the carbon footprint of food, build community resilience, alleviate poverty by producing low cost local produce for low income individuals and families and provide skills training and work experience for people with challenges and barriers to employment.
Must be 30 years or under due to funding requirements
- Minimum 2 years farm management experience in vegetable production
- Degree in agriculture or related field
- Experience seeding, transplanting, maintaining, and harvesting crops
- Experience training and working with volunteers
- Good Communication skills
- Good Organizational skills
- Positive, outgoing, team oriented
- Supervisory experience
- Class 4 drivers license an asset
Community and program Coordination
- Work with Program Coordinators (from other community organizations) and their
- Clients accessing the farm sites
- Coordinate activities for volunteers/requests for support/available produce etc
- Provide on-site mentorship and support for various programs using the farm sites, as well as farm workers
- Provide tours of the farm sites to various community and school groups
- Work with a multi-faceted team to achieve goals
- Provide workshops on regenerative farming practices and climate mitigation techniques
- Plan and execute a farm plan for the season with the Farm Mentors (including planting calendar, coordination of purchase of supplies, work with staff to identify additional resources for the farm to support volunteers and program participants, etc)
- Plan and develop a farm-based business plan, with support from Farm Mentors
- Analyzing existing operations, crops, staff, and financial documents and recommending improvements.
- Preparing plans and schedules for planting and harvesting and ensuring staff understand expectations.
- Visiting the different locations to inspect and manage crops, and also perform tests on soil and water.
- Ensuring seeds, fertilizers, and other supplies are regularly restocked.
- Ensure growing practices meet organic standards
- Identify equipment in need of repair, maintenance, and replacement and coordinate best plan of action to address equipment issues, within budget and with consultation with Farm Mentor.
- Handling the marketing and sale of products produced on the farm (fruit, vegetables).
- Ensuring all staff/volunteers adhere to health and safety regulations.
- Assisting with the recruitment and training of new staff/volunteers.
- Building professional networks and keeping abreast of developments in agricultural science, regenerative farming techniques and volunteer management.
Term: 16 weeks, with potential to continue if the candidate is a good fit!
Hours per week: Full time 30-40
Please submit your Resume & Cover letter to email@example.com
Deadline to apply: Aug 1st
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Growing Opportunities Farm Community Co-op