Wind Whipped Farm in Metchosin, BC (Vancouver Island) is seeking a part-time farm hand for the 2020 season!
ABOUT WIND WHIPPED FARM
Wind Whipped Farm is based in Metchosin, BC. We focus on producing mixed vegetables and herbs (certified organic) known to be productive and profitable in small spaces. All vegetables are marketed through the Local Food Box Program. The Local Food Box is a multi-farm Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program that brings together Metchosin farmers to share a customer base and offer program members access to local and seasonal foods including fruits and vegetables, meats, eggs, honey and flowers.
We care about offering great quality seasonal foods, supporting local producers, and building relationships with community members. Organic practices help us build healthy soils that grow food that is good for people and the planet.
- Hardworking: Able to conduct physical work and maintain a good pace in all kinds of weather
- Motivated: Strong work ethics and genuine interest in farming and local food production
- Experience in organic fruit and vegetable production is an asset but is not required
The primary tasks will consist of harvesting, washing and packaging fruits and vegetables. Other tasks may include:
- Preparing fields for plantings
- Assisting seeding and transplanting
- Applying soil amendments and fertilizers approved for certified organic production
- Managing weeds using hand tools
- Preventing pest damage by helping install row cover
- Pruning and trellising greenhouse plants
- Helping to maintain tools and equipment
- Assisting with other farm projects
Duration: August to November. The position may be extended.
Work hours: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (1hr lunch break)
Work days: Monday and Thursday. Possibility of one additional day per week.
Total weekly hours: At least 14 hours, up to 21 hours.
Hourly wage: Starts at $15.00 per hr.
Please send us your resume, including two professional or personal references, and submit a letter of interest (1 page maximum) telling us why you are interested in this position.
Email your resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: July 24th, 2020.
If you have any questions, please email or call us at (250) 661-8099.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org