This position has been filled.
Sea Bluff Farm in Metchosin/Victoria, BC is seeking a Farm Hand Extraordinaire!!
ABOUT Sea Bluff Farm
JOIN OUR TEAM FOR THE 2023 SEASON AND BEYOND
Sea Bluff Farm is a 10-acre certified organic, mixed vegetable and fruit farm. We grow a wide diversity of produce which we harvest and sell all 12 months of the year.
While we have tractors to help us, the majority of field work (weeding, harvest, transplant, etc) is still done by hand or with hand tools and good old fashioned elbow grease!
At Sea Bluff we work very hard, but we also have fun doing it – which includes lots of laughing, good chats in the field, shared lunches, and regular after-work socials.
As a future employee at Sea Bluff Farm you are:
• Strong and physically fit – able to lift up to 50 lb and bend, shovel, kneel, squat, etc. throughout the work day (a healthy back and good knees are important!)
• Able to work outside in all types of weather sun, rain, wind, etc.
• Able to multitask and work quickly and efficiently to meet deadlines and complete task long lists
• Graced with good attention to detail
• Mature, respectful, and have good communication skills
• Able to take feedback and constructive criticism
• Able to ask questions if tasks are unclear or information given is incomplete
• Able to work well with others as well as alone
• Excited, willing, and able to learn new things
Please note: Only Canadian residents or those legally able to work in Canada now (without delay) will be considered for this position, and preference will be given to local candidates who can come for an in-person working interview.
We have a full time position to be filled immediately. Preference will be given to candidates who are passionate about starting their own farms, and/or who are interested in staying for the whole year and preferably for many seasons.
MORE THAN A WAGE
Sea Bluff Farm staff never stop learning on the job. We’re activist farmers who believe that more people need to start farming. We train and inspire our ‘graduates’ to be change-makers. Some of the skills you can learn with us:
• Grow, harvest, clean and market 45+ different varieties of fruits and vegetables in a financially viable system
• Follow crop plans, create timelines, diagnose plant ailments, trouble shoot machinery, learn how to become ‘physically intelligent’ with efficiency of movement, leveraging heavy loads and accomplishing more with your body
• Learn organic vegetable seed production from breeding, to harvest and cleaning.
• Learn native plant tending, hedgerow creation and insect identification. We have almost a kilometre of special hedgerows and a Garry Oak meadow restoration in progress!
WHAT IT TAKES TO SUCCEED: A PERSONAL CHALLENGE FOR SELF-GROWTH AND GIVING BACK TO THE EARTH
Attitude is everything to us, above experience or physical strength. We want candidates who are hungry to learn, and who relish demanding physical labour. Every year is an adventure, and we need committed staff to jump in with both feet and have the determination and sense of humour to see the season through.
Farm hands are involved in all aspects of farming from seeding, transplanting, watering, weeding, harvest washing, packing and marketing.
Term: We have a full time position to be filled immediately.
Hours per week: Employees work 40 hrs per week
Wage: The hourly wage will begin at ($17/hr), and may be higher for those with relevant experience, plus CPP payments and WCB coverage. You also get access to a LOT of delicious, organic veggies for personal consumption! Accommodation on farm may be available for the right candidate.
We require a resume and a visit to the farm for a paid working interview email@example.com
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Sea Bluff Farm