Metchosin Farm in Metchosin, BC (near Victoria) is seeking a farm grower for the 2021 season and beyond!
Metchosin Farm is a small certified organic family-owned business growing 280+ varieties of seed crops and producing a wide diversity of plant starts and perennial fruit bushes. In addition, we develop new seed varieties and have successfully introduced new tomatoes, apples, chard, kale and other food crops to our customers in British Columbia and beyond.
Located in scenic Metchosin and adjacent to two of the fastest-growing communities in Canada (Langford and Colwood) our 10-acre property of field and woodland has great potential to grow. During COVID, our product sales have increased dramatically (+5,000% for seeds!) and we are investing this Fall/Winter in significant infrastructure and administrative upgrades to expand and embrace this opportunity. In our renewed vision after this successful year, we are reviewing our farming operation and focusing on aspects that bring and add value, attend to our family’s needs, as well as fulfil the demand that exists for the business. In addition to increasing the volume of seed crops and plant starts grown, we are excited to start offering regular educational hands-on workshops and learning opportunities in 2021 to individuals, families, school groups and the general public.
Operating since 2004, we are ready to grow our farm team, which currently consists of the Owner, an Administrator, a Farm Hand and 2-3 casual community members (volunteer and paid), to include a full-time Grower position for the 2021 season and beyond.
Working collaboratively with the rest of our team, and with training provided, the Grower will be responsible for cultivating plant starts, propagating perennials and stewarding our seed crops (including coordinating harvesting, storage and processing). Using certified organic methods, the Grower will maintain soil health, manage any pests and diseases, maintain good records, and always be considering ways that we can improve. The Grower will work together with our farm team to create a weekly fresh sheet (wholesale orders), and occasionally assist with deliveries of seeds and plants to retail partners. Working closely with our experienced community volunteers (2-3 individuals, 1-2 days per week) and consulting with customers at the plant nursery (3 hours per week) are also important aspects of this job.
During the shoulder season of Jan/Feb, Nov/Dec, the Grower will also help with key administrative tasks such as seed data entry and packaging/restocking/distribution, nursery and farmstand retail, seed order processing and record-keeping.
Grower Skills and Attitude
- familiar with, and commitment to, organic growing methods and record-keeping
- experienced farmer knowledgeable about soil fertility including composting and amendments
- skilled at seeding and transplanting
- careful with tools and able to maintain them and do basic repairs (hand tools, rototiller, fencing, etc.)
- seed-growing passion and experience (while not mandatory, this is highly desirable)
- good organizational and time management practices
- capable of keeping good records (planting charts, seed crop record sheets, expenses, etc)
- experience with irrigation systems
Our ideal candidate is:
- curious and kind with a true passion for growing plants and seeds\
- committed to farming as their primary income and lifestyle
- a good communicator who likes people
- willing and enthusiastic about learning
- emotionally intelligent with a healthy ego
- entrepreneurial in their thinking and/or have previously run their own business
- able to work confidently both alone and with others
- respectful with a mature attitude
- fun to be and work with!
Please note that at Metchosin Farm there is:
- no hard drug use or tobacco smoking (tobacco mosaic virus!)
- no smoking of any kind (fire hazard, kids, etc.), at any time
Wage: $15-20/hr, based on experience and other qualifications
Accommodation: quality accommodation with staple food and wifi will be provided
- additional training/education as needed and aspired to
- other opportunities as both parties get to know each other and commit for a longer-term and mutually-beneficial arrangement. For example, helping to develop a synergistic related business such as certified organic produce, cut flowers, medicinal plants, meat birds, or ??? ☺
How to Apply
To express your interest in this position, please respond with your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com. In your letter, please provide a brief introduction to yourself including your farming and other relevant experience, why this position appeals to you and the main attributes that you would bring to Metchosin Farm.
We are currently accepting applications and conducting interviews throughout February, 2021.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
Learn More About Metchosin Farm
View more farm jobs on our Jobs Page.