Wild Flight Farm in Mara, BC is seeking an Organic Field Production Lead!
ABOUT Wild Flight Farm
Wild Flight Farm is a 24-acre certified organic produce farm nestled in the mountains of the North Okanagan beside the Shuswap River. We have a large farmer’s market presence in both Salmon Arm and Revelstoke, for which we have been supplying a wide variety of mixed herbs and vegetables for 30 years. We also fill and ship weekly orders to organic home delivery companies in the Okanagan Valley, and some wholesale orders.
The farm has been certified organic since its start in 1993, and we are passionate about keeping our soil healthy and productive through extensive cover cropping practices and intuitive soil management. Our mission is to efficiently produce high-quality, organic vegetables and culinary herbs for local markets while providing living wages and career advancement opportunities for employees.
- At least 2 years of hands-on experience on market vegetable farms
- A positive, can-do attitude and constructive communication skills
- Physically fit, able to work in all weather conditions, and able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Basic farm tractor and implement operation skills, or a strong desire to learn
- Previous experience managing, directing, and motivating staff is an asset
- Preferably a post-secondary diploma in a horticulture-related program
Field Staff Management
- Organize and direct 4-10 field staff daily to ensure seeding, planting, cultivation, irrigation, and harvest timelines are met.
- Train and work alongside less experienced staff as neede
- Be the point of contact for crew members regarding scheduling and feedback
- Conduct primary tillage operations and final vegetable bed preparation
- Be responsible for weeding, irrigation, and pest/disease control
- Use cultivating tractors and hand tools to carry out weekly weed control activities
- Apply compost and trace nutrients to maintain soil fertility
- Record seeding, planting, harvesting, pest management, and soil inputs
- Participate in vegetable planting, weeding, harvesting, and packing as required
Term: The start date is March 13th, with some room for flexibility. This job is permanent, providing year-round employment with duties shifting to washing/packing during the winter with more flexible hours. We hope to work with someone who is keen to stay longer-term and deepen their understanding of a financially viable system.
Hours per week: 40-50 hours/week main season (June-September). 30-40 hours/week rest of the year
Wage: Competitive wage range of $22.50-$27.00/hour (experience dependent)
- $1200 annual Health Spending allowance
- Housing available to rent
- $250 personal gear allowance
- Weekly catered lunches
- Free vegetables for your household
- Career growth opportunities
- Organic production mentorship from an experienced team
If interested, please read the full position and farm details at www.wildflightfarm.ca
Please email an application and include a cover letter with your resume describing your motivation to apply for this job and the specific skills/experience you have that match the work description and skills required. Email: email@example.com
Deadline to apply: March 3rd
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org