Wild Flight Farm in Mara, BC is seeking a Market Lead!
ABOUT Wild Flight Farm
Wild Flight Farm is a 24-acre certified organic mixed vegetable farm in Mara, BC that has grown into a successful business over the past 30 years. This firmly-established family farm has a strong following at year-round farmer’s markets in the communities of Salmon Arm and Revelstoke. Produce is also shipped weekly to organic home delivery services in Kelowna and Vernon.
Over the years the farm has developed to include 13 high tunnels and a large heated house for seedling production. We grow all our own transplants and the tunnels allow for significant season extension, allowing us to reach early spring markets with fresh greens and root crops. Later in spring, the high tunnels are home to heat-loving crops such as tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. We have also developed a large packing/storage facility that allows our employees to work comfortably and efficiently while enabling appropriate storage conditions for a wide diversity of crops.
The rural location in the North Okanagan/Shuswap is within a 30-minute drive of the communities of Salmon Arm, Enderby and Sicamous. Cultural and recreational opportunities abound in the area, and there are many options for day trips to enjoy the mountains, lakes or rivers when time permits. The farm borders the Shuswap River and funding has recently been approved to establish a “rails to trails” corridor that passes very close by.
There are two main seasons at Wild Flight, with some overlap. We generally employ a crew of 12 full-time employees through the growing season (May to October) and 5 full-time employees to carry the farm through the winter market season.
Our mission is to efficiently produce high-quality, organic vegetables and culinary herbs for local markets while providing living wages and career advancement opportunities for 12 employees.
Qualifications and Skills:
- At least one full season of experience on an organic vegetable farm
- Demonstrated customer service experience and competence
- Good mental math abilities for adding customer purchases quickly
- Must be able to lift heavy tables and 50 lb produce boxes
- Practical problem-solving abilities when faced with unforeseen events
- Proficiency with website and social media platforms
- Knowledge of and experience with vegetable production methods and organic standards
- A positive, can-do attitude and a drive to work quickly and efficiently
We are looking for someone with demonstrated farmer’s marketing experience to run our 2 Farmer’s Markets and take on these responsibilities:
- Monitor produce quality as it is being packed
- Drive large delivery truck to and from markets
- Set-up, operate, and take-down a large produce market stand in all weather
- Supervise and work together with additional market staff
- Keep accurate records of produce sales and returns
- Make notes and prepare a weekly farmers’ market report
- Oversee farm newsletter, website, and social media communication
- Assist with vegetable planting, weeding, harvesting and packing where needed
Term: This position is available to start at the end of April. It is full-time, year-round with more flexible hours/time off in winter months.
Hours per week: This position provides full-time hours. Since market days tend to be long and one market is on Saturday, the work schedule would be 4 days/week from Wednesday to Saturday. The position is year-round with the winter hours shifting somewhat to match different market schedules.
- Wage range is $21 – $25/hour depending on experience with yearly compensation reviews
- Extended health benefits package, including medical, dental and visual coverage
- Access to discounted and free farm produce for personal/family use
Please include a cover letter describing your motivation to apply for this job and the specific skills/experience you have that match the work description and skills required to firstname.lastname@example.org
While we thank all who apply, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
ONLY applications from Canadian residents will be considered.
Deadline to apply: March 15th, 2022
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Wild Flight Farm
Click here to see a drone video of the farm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtrG_3FQtuE