Wild Flight Farm Ltd. in Mara, British Columbia is seeking an Organic Produce Farm Manager!
ABOUT Wild Flight Farm Ltd.
Wild Flight Farm is a 24-acre certified organic mixed vegetable farm in Mara, BC that has grown into a successful business over the past 30 years. This firmly established family farm has a strong following at year-round farmer’s markets in the communities of Salmon Arm and Revelstoke. Produce is also shipped weekly to organic home delivery services in Kelowna and Vernon. The rural location in the North Okanagan/Shuswap is within a 30-minute drive of the communities of Salmon Arm, Enderby and Sicamous.
We are seeking a Farm Manager, who (with guidance and training) will gradually assume responsibility for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the farm. The Farm Manager will work in a team environment and in close cooperation with the Field and Greenhouse Managers.
This position is suited to someone with at least 3 full seasons of experience in vegetable production who is dedicated to organic methods and looking for an opportunity to develop their career through a well-established business. In addition, there is an opportunity to take on an ownership role in the farm business either as an individual, in partnership with someone else, or through the establishment of a worker co-op.
We have been certified organic since the farm began in 1993, and we endeavor to produce high-quality vegetables and herbs for our customers while providing career opportunities and fair living wages for employees.
- At least 3 full seasons of experience on organic vegetable farms
- Previous experience managing and overseeing a team of people
- Competence in operating & maintaining farm tools, machinery, and facilities
- Preferably a post-secondary degree or diploma in an agriculture or horticulture-related program
- Knowledge of and experience with organic production methods and organic standards
- A strong desire to commit multiple seasons to learn the ins and outs of our production methods
- Assist in the recruitment and hiring of up to 10 seasonal staff
- Develop daily work plans in consultation with the Field and Greenhouse Managers
- Help organize and direct staff to ensure seeding, planting, cultivation, irrigation, harvest and processing/packing deadlines are met
- Coordinate with Field and Greenhouse Managers to ensure that the farm has all necessary supplies, tools, and equipment.
- Work alongside staff as needed to provide instruction and assist in completing tasks
- Create, by example, a positive, co-operative and energetic work environment in which productivity and quality are emphasized
- Assist in developing schedules for successive plantings of field crops, and ensure that they are followed
- Help Field Manager coordinate weekly weeding, irrigation, and pest/disease control plans
- Monitor quality control of post-harvest handling and packing of produce for markets
- Oversee management of soil fertility though seeding of green manures and other inputs
- Maintain careful records of all planting, harvesting and crop/soil inputs
- Coordinate maintenance and repair of farm tools, equipment, and facilities:
– 5 tractors with assorted soil cultivation implements
– 12 high tunnels, 1 heated greenhouse
– 7000 sq. ft. packing facility with refrigerated storage rooms
– Electronically controlled permanent irrigation system
– 3 walk-behind rototillers (including a BCS), and assorted hand tools
– 3-ton delivery truck, field van, and employee bicycle fleet
- Prepare weekly fresh lists for farmers’ market, restaurant, and home delivery customers
- Oversee farm newsletter, website, and social media communication
- Coordinate communal shipping with other local farmers
- Compile and place purchase orders with local farms and large distributors
- Respond to e-mails, compile market customer order lists, and ensure that orders are packed
Term: Start date is November 6th and is a permanent position with our company
Hours per week: 30-45 hours per week, with less hours and more flexibility in winter months
Wage: Hourly wage range from $25.50 to $27.75 to start (experience dependent) with annual compensation reviews. Includes extended $1200 annual health benefits package, including medical, dental, and visual coverage
On-farm housing rental is available.
You would have access to free and discounted farm produce, as seasonally available, for personal/family use.
Please provide a resume and cover letter describing your motivation for applying and relevant experience. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: November 1st, 2023
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Wild Flight Farm Ltd.