Wild Flight Farm in Mara, British Columbia is seeking a Greenhouse Lead!
ABOUT Wild Flight Farm
Wild Flight Farm is a 24-acre certified organic mixed vegetable farm in Mara, BC that has grown into a successful business over the past 25 years. This firmly-established family farm has a strong following at year-round farmer’s markets in the communities of Salmon Arm and Revelstoke. Produce is also shipped weekly to organic home delivery services in Kelowna and Vernon.
Over the years the farm has developed to include 13 high tunnels and a large heated house for seedling production. We grow all our own transplants and the tunnels allow for significant season extension, allowing us to reach early spring markets with fresh greens and root crops. Later in spring, the high tunnels are home to heat-loving crops such as tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. We have also developed a large packing/storage facility which allows our employees to work comfortably and efficiently while enabling appropriate storage conditions for a wide diversity of crops. Equipment used includes 3 full-sized tractors, 2 walk-behind rototillers and a BCS, along with a wide array of hand tools and a farm van.
The rural location in the North Okanagan/Shuswap is within a 30-minute drive of the communities of Salmon Arm, Enderby and Sicamous. Cultural and Recreational opportunities abound in the area, and there are many options for day trips to enjoy the mountains, lakes or rivers when time permits.
Our mission is to efficiently produce high-quality, organic vegetables and culinary herbs for local markets while providing living wages and career advancement opportunities for our employees.
- Hands-on experience working on a vegetable farm, including experience in greenhouse/high tunnel management
- Preferably a post-secondary degree or diploma in an agriculture or horticulture-related program
- Competence in operating walk-behind rototillers
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills
- Experience with organic production methods and organic standards
- A positive, can-do attitude and a drive to work quickly and efficiently
- Organize and direct staff on a daily basis
- Ensure seeding, planting, cultivation, irrigation, harvest and processing/packing deadlines are met.
- Work along side staff as needed to provide instruction and assist in completing tasks.
- Create, by example, a positive, co-operative and energetic work environment in which productivity and quality are emphasized.
- Assist in developing schedules for successive seedings/plantings of greenhouse crops and ensure that they are followed on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Monitor and manage weeding, irrigation and pest/disease control in a timely, pro-active manner.
- Oversee post-harvest handling of high-tunnel crops for market.
- Oversee management of soil fertility in high tunnels though composting and other inputs.
- Maintain careful records of all seeding, planting, harvesting and soil inputs.
- Participate in research into crop varieties and management practices for improved greenhouse production.
Term: Start date is March 30th, 2021 and is either a seasonal position ending Nov. 5th 2021, or permanent position continuing through the winter.
Hours per week: Winter 25-35 hrs/week, Summer 40-45 hrs/week
Wage: $20-$23 per hour depending on prior experience, with yearly compensation reviews
Extended health benefits package, including medical, dental and visual coverage for year-round employees (not seasonal)
Access to farm produce, as seasonally available, for personal/family use.
We expect any potential candidates to live or be willing to move to be within a 30 minute commute from the farm in Mara, and to have a vehicle and driver’s license. Nearby communities with rental opportunities include Enderby, Armstrong, Salmon Arm, and Sicamous.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter outlining specific reasons for applying and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: February 15th, 2021
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org