Wild Flight Farm in Mara, BC is seeking a Field Lead!
ABOUT Wild Flight Farm
Wild Flight Farm is a 24-acre certified organic mixed vegetable farm in Mara, BC that has grown into a successful business over the past 30 years. This firmly-established family farm has a strong following at year-round farmer’s markets in the communities of Salmon Arm and Revelstoke. Produce is also shipped weekly to organic home delivery services in Kelowna and Vernon.
Over the years the farm has developed to include 13 high tunnels and a large heated house for seedling production. We grow all our own transplants and the tunnels allow for significant season extension, allowing us to reach early spring markets with fresh greens and root crops. Later in spring, the high tunnels are home to heat-loving crops such as tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. We have also developed a large packing/storage facility that allows our employees to work comfortably and efficiently while enabling appropriate storage conditions for a wide diversity of crops.
The rural location in the North Okanagan/Shuswap is within a 30-minute drive of the communities of Salmon Arm, Enderby and Sicamous. Cultural and recreational opportunities abound in the area, and there are many options for day trips to enjoy the mountains, lakes or rivers when time permits. The farm borders the Shuswap River and funding has recently been approved to establish a “rails to trails” corridor that passes very close by.
There are two main seasons at Wild Flight, with some overlap. We generally employ a crew of 12 full-time employees through the growing season (May to October) and 5 full-time employees to carry the farm through the winter market season.
Our mission is to efficiently produce high-quality, organic vegetables and culinary herbs for local markets while providing living wages and career advancement opportunities for 12 employees
This position is suited to someone with relevant experience and education in market vegetable production. We are seeking a candidate who is dedicated to organic methods and looking for an opportunity, through a well-established business, to further develop their vegetable production skills.
- Preferably a post-secondary degree or diploma in an agriculture or horticulture-related program
- At least 3 years of hands-on experience on market vegetable farms
- Basic farm tractor and implement operation skills
- Previous experience managing, directing, and working with field staff
- Knowledge of and experience with organic production methods and organic standards
- A positive, can-do attitude and a drive to work quickly and efficiently
We are seeking a Field Lead who will be responsible for organizing and carrying out day-to-day vegetable field work in consultation with the Farm Manager.
Field Staff Management
- Organize and direct field staff on a daily basis to ensure seeding, planting, cultivation, irrigation, harvest and timelines are met.
- Work alongside less experienced staff as needed to provide instruction and assist in completing tasks.
- Create, by example, a positive, co-operative and energetic work environment in which productivity and quality are emphasized.
- Assist in developing daily & weekly work plans for successive seedings/plantings of field crops
- Conduct primary tillage operations and final vegetable bed preparation
- Monitor and manage weeding, irrigation and pest/disease control in a timely, pro-active manner
- Carry out weekly mechanical weed control activities
- Apply compost and other materials to maintain soil fertility
- Maintain careful records of all seeding, planting, harvesting and soil inputs.
- Participate in vegetable planting, weeding, harvesting as required
Term: This is a full-time, year-round position with winter work shifting to washing and packing vegetables for markets. Start date is April 4th, 2022.
Hours per week: This position offers full-time hours. Longer days are expected through the main growing season, while winter hours tend to be shorter, with more flexibility for time off.
Wage: Wage range is $21 – $25/hour depending on experience with yearly compensation reviews
• Extended health benefits package, including medical, dental and visual coverage
• Access to discounted and free farm produce for personal/family use
Please include a cover letter describing your motivation to apply for this job and the specific skills/experience you have that match the work description and skills required to email@example.com
While we thank all who apply, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
ONLY applications from Canadian residents will be considered.
Deadline to apply: March 1st, 2022
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Wild Flight Farm
Click here to see a drone video of the farm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtrG_3FQtuE