A Rocha Canada Brooksdale Environmental Centre in Surrey/Langley, BC is seeking a Summer Farm Assistant!
ABOUT A Rocha Canada Brooksdale Environmental Centre
A Rocha Farm at Brooksdale is a 2.5-acre mix vegetable production farm that follows organic principles. While transitioning to no-till agriculture we do at times use a Kubota tractor with a tiller and disk, 2 Planet Juniors with associated implements, and 2 BCS Tractors with associated implements. Our sales channels include a 140+ CSA, farm gate market, and restaurants.
A Rocha Brooksdale is a non-profit environmental organization located on a 27-acre property with farmlands, wetlands, and a river running through it. A Rocha has programs in sustainable agriculture, environmental education, and conservation programs. We also have an internship program with interns specializing in one of our three program areas. While not certified organic, A Rocha follows organic growing practices.
- At least one year/season in diversified vegetable production (preferably organic) an asset.
- Experience working within the not-for-profit sector an asset.
- Food Safe Level 1 certification, or a willingness to do so.
- First Aid and CPR certifications an asset.
- Demonstrated embodiment of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership experience; able to comfortably make decisions and execute tasks in a diverse and dynamic working environment.
- Introductory food literacy knowledge, including general horticultural production, local and organic food concepts and vocabulary, and/or food preparation.
- Introductory technical skills in the areas of horticultural production, soil and landscape management, and/or farm equipment use and maintenance in a mixed farm setting.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office and/or Google suite experience.
- Demonstrated communication (verbal/written), facilitation, and interpersonal skills; able to work both independently and within a high-energy team environment; able to resolve interpersonal conflicts professionally; excellent collaboration and group leadership skills.
- Strong organizational skills; able to identify and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision, work independently, and take initiative.
- Must be physically fit, able to lift 50lbs.
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly, efficiently and calmly in high-stress settings for long hours in any weather and bring tasks to completion on time.
- Familiarity with A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values.
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations; and,
- obtain a Criminal Record Background and Vulnerable Sector check.
Farm Production & Sales:
- Assist in all aspects of crop production, including bed preparation, seeding, planting, weeding, irrigating, harvesting, and post harvest processing and packing.
- Record keeping for all required field activities.
- Support animal husbandry tasks as required.
- Assist with CSA management, communication, sales, and delivery.
- Assist with restaurant communication, sales, and delivery.
- Assist with Brooksdale Farm Store harvesting
- Participate in other general farm tasks as required
- Assist in training and supervision of Interns and Volunteers.
- Work in collaboration with Brooksdale staff for other onsite activities as needed.
- Awareness and adherence to A Rocha Brooksdale’s Covid-19 Protocols.
Term: May 4, 2021, to August 21, 2021 (16 weeks) with the possibility of full/part-time extension to the end of September.
Hours per week: Full time (5 days/week, 35-40 hours/week, Tuesday to Saturday).
Wage: $16.20 per hour.
More Info available here: arb_job-posting_brooksdale-summer-farm-assistant_1.28.2021.pdf
- Email, as a single PDF document, a cover letter and resume clearly detailing your experience and qualifications for this position to Carly Richardson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ensure your email subject line clearly refers to the Brooksdale Summer Farm Assistant position.
- Ensure your name and the position title are included in the PDF file name.
- Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Please no phone calls or emails.
- The position(s) are contingent on Canada Summer Jobs funding approval.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org