A Rocha Canada Brooksdale Environmental Centre in Langley, BC is seeking a CSA Farm Assistant Coordinator!
ABOUT A Rocha Canada Brooksdale Environmental Centre
A Rocha Farm at Brooksdale is a 2.5-acre mix vegetable production farm that follows organic principles. While transitioning to no-till agriculture we do at times use a Kubota tractor with a tiller and disk, 2 Planet Juniors with associated implements, and 2 BCS Tractors with associated implements. Our sales channels include a 140+ CSA, farm gate market, and restaurants.
A Rocha Brooksdale is a non-profit environmental organization located on a 27-acre property with farmlands, wetlands, and a river running through it. A Rocha has programs in sustainable agriculture, environmental education, and conservation programs. We also have an internship program with interns specializing in one of our three program areas. While not certified organic, A Rocha follows organic growing practices.
- At least one year/season working in diversified vegetable production (preferably organic).
- Demonstrated organizational leadership experience; able to comfortably make decisions and execute tasks in a diverse and dynamic working environment.
- Customer service and sales experience, preferably within the food and/or farming sector.
- Has the physical health and strength to do physical labour.
- Has experience in training others to do a task as well as communicate ideas.
- Has experience in using Excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to work long hours (beyond 8 hours per day) June-Aug in a ‘banked time’ structure.
- Demonstrated embodiment of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values an asset.
- Intermediate technical skills in the areas of horticultural production, soil, and landscape management, and/or farm equipment use and maintenance in a mixed farm setting.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office and/or Google suite experience.
- Demonstrated communication (verbal/written), facilitation, and interpersonal skills; able to work both independently and within a high-energy team environment; able to resolve interpersonal conflicts; collaboration and group leadership skills.
- Strong organizational skills; able to identify and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision, work independently, and take initiative.
- Must be physically fit, able to lift 50lbs.
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly, efficiently and calmly in physically challenging contexts for long hours in variable weather and bring tasks to completion on time.
- Knowledge and articulation of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values.
Additional Information/ Requirements:
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment.
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Obtain a Criminal Record Background and Vulnerable Sector check.
- Class 5 Drivers License preferred. (Note: public transportation to A Rocha is not easily available)
- Experience with farm equipment and workshop tool use an asset: tractor, rototiller, lawn mower, drills, fencing, etc.
- Assist the CSA Farm Coordinator in running the CSA program, including but not limited to the following;
- Involvement in crop planning and planting
- Execute all areas of crop production, including seeding, planting, weeding, irrigating, harvesting and packing
- Assemble weekly CSA shares, interact with members and produce content for newsletters
- Improve the soil through careful crop rotations, cover cropping, and amendments
- Assist in the development of infrastructure for farm operations
- Organize and maintain tools and farm equipment
- Liaise with chefs and restaurant owners to increase sales of produce to restaurants (*not in 2021)
- Oversee and mentor others in the operation of the CSA program
(* Note in 2021 this will involve Covid protocols).
- Supervise and assist in training interns in the tasks listed above
- Train, and supervise volunteers in the garden
- Liaise with the Brooksdale Guesthouse kitchen and help ensure regular use of farm surplus
- Participate in regular A Rocha community events (includes some weekend work, as required)
- Attend weekly A Rocha staff meetings and contribute towards Brooksdale community life
- Engage in charitable fundraising in support of A Rocha’s vision and mission, with particular focus to program fundraising (refer to ARC’s Relational Fundraising Movement Document). Program fundraising goals vary from year to year. Goals, training and fundraising support will be provided.
- Agree with supervisor on annual program fundraising plan, activities, goals and targets.
- Work in collaboration with Brooksdale staff for other onsite activities as needed.
- Example: Annual October Harvest Celebration public event
- Example: farm to plate fundraising dinner in support of the program
- Awareness and adherence to A Rocha Brooksdale Covid-19 protocols.
Term: April 26, 2021, to December 12, 2021, with the possibility of extending part/full time through the winter months.
Hours per week: Full time (5 days/week, 40 hours/week, Tuesday to Saturday)
Wage: $16.20 – $18.20 per hour (dependant on experience)
More Info available here: Job-Posting-CSA-Farm-Assistant-Coordinator-04.19.2021.pdf
- Email, as a single PDF document, a cover letter and resume clearly detailing your experience and qualifications for this position to Andrea Ramos Santos (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Ensure your email subject line clearly refers to the CSA Farm Assistant Coordinator position.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org