This position has been filled.
Yellow Point Farms in Ladysmith, B.C. is seeking two Farm Hands for the 2021 season!
ABOUT Yellow Point Farms
We are a diverse 32 acre farm that is nestled in a sunny valley in Yellow Point. Blueberries are our main crop, but we grow many other types of fruit and vegetables as well. We also have miniature livestock (Nigerian dwarf goats, Babydoll sheep and Kune Kune pigs) that we breed and raise to sell as registered breeding stock to self sustainable farmers on small acreages. We sell our blueberries at farmer’s markets throughout the summer, and we will be opening our farm store to sell our produce from the farm this summer.
We have a mission of creating a well-balanced ecosystem and rich soils that produce nutrient-dense foods, where everything on the farm serves a purpose and works together while treating the environment and the animals with respect. We believe in eduction and being a learning farm, and often host volunteer days and do educational farm tours for all ages.
The person hired should have a strong commitment to sustainable and natural practices and must love animals.
The work varies from week to week and will include animal chores and care, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, preparation of produce for market, running farm tours, among other tasks. Experience in an agricultural setting is an asset, but we are happy to train people with a positive attitude who are keen to learn new skills. This work is best suited for people who:
- Enjoy working as part of a team but can also work alone efficiently
- Is self-motivated and able to take charge to get a task done if they see something that needs doing (creative problem solver).
- Is hardworking, and physically able to do the tasks required: work in a variety of weather conditions, bending, lifting, kneeling, standing, etc., can lift 50+ lbs.
- Has prior farming experience (lived, worked or volunteered on a farm)
- Can maintain a positive attitude despite the adverse conditions that outdoor work often involves
- Is interested, knowledgeable and/or passionate about organic and sustainable farming practices.
- Is able to follow direction, ask questions, and complete tasks efficiently,
- Is able to be organized and help keep the farm that way too.
- Has strong communication skills.
- Is friendly and personable when dealing with the public and visitors to the farm
- Has a valid drivers license &/or access to a vehicle to commute to the farm (there is no public transit)
- Livestock chores (cleaning stalls/paddocks, some livestock maintenance such as trimming hooves, vaccinations)
- Horticulture work: seeding, transplanting, plant care, record keeping.
- Bed prep, planting, weeding, pest control.
- Field garden tending and maintenance.
- Harvesting, cleaning, and sorting fruits and vegetables such as blueberries and garlic.
- Doing farm tours
- Working at the farm stand/farm store
- Possibly setting up and vending at farmers markets.
Term: Hopefully able to start on or around May 1, 2021. There is some flexibility on start and end dates.
This is a seasonal position, the successful candidate will be required to work until the end of summer, but there is opportunity to continue into the fall as well.
Hours per week: There are two positions available, one is for 30 hours per week, one is for 20 hours per week.
Wage: $15-$17 per hour
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: April 30, 2021
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org