WoodGrain Farm in Kispiox Valley (1 hour north of Smithers), British Columbia is seeking a vegetable & seed farm hand! This position is for a summer student age 18-30.
ABOUT WoodGrain Farm
WoodGrain Farm, tucked away in the mountains, rivers and forests of the Northwest, is seeking a part-time summer student/youth vegetable & seed farm hand (ages 18-30) for the 2023 garden season.
We are a small-scale diverse organic farm in the Kispiox Valley, northwest BC. This land that we steward, and the communities who we grow food for, lie within the homelands of the Gitx̱san and Wet’suwet’en peoples. We take to heart our responsibility to nurture and respect these lands and waters, so they may continue to provide for future generations as they have always done.
We are looking for someone interested in growing food and saving seed. There are also opportunities to take part in farmsteading skills for an individual with a strong interest in growing food, homesteading and rural living. We are a traditional small-scale mixed farm, focused as much on self–sufficiency as we are on growing food for the local communities, in a beautiful and wild part of the northern Coast Mountains.
We sell our certified organic vegetables, flour, lamb and seeds and garlic salt across Northwestern BC. Our current focus is on growing garlic, squash and seed saving; along with tomatoes & cucumbers in two high tunnels and a passive solar greenhouse. In addition, there is a wide range of seed crops and experiments such as growing soy beans, flour corn, dried beans, flowers, and various other fun side projects. We are looking for support with nurturing the crops and bringing in the harvest.
We’re a small crew here at the farm. Jonathan has been farming 14 years, previous to that had a popular organic bakery on Vancouver Island and has done extended stints wwoofing and cross country cycling. Jolene is a biologist by trade and a knowledgeable forager, with a focus on greenhouse crops and seed saving around the farm.
We’re 25km from town, near the end of a dirt road, so transportation may be desirable if you like to get out and about. The Kispiox Valley is home to a vibrant, eclectic community of old-time ranchers, back-to-the-landers, Gitxsan First Nations, and all around quality folk. There are lots of pictures of the farm through the seasons on Instagram and at http://www.woodgrain.ca/journal
- Strong work ethic, communication and interpersonal skills
- A positive attitude and motivated to learn and improve
- Some experience with/knowledge of plants (farm or garden) and/or fast-paced labor (kitchen, landscaping) strongly preferred
- Physical and mental endurance (able to work standing, kneeling, bending, lifting repeatedly, some heavy lifting up to 20kg/45lbs)
- Love for the outdoors, experience and/or willingness to work in variable weather conditions (sun, rain, mud, bugs, heat, and cold)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with various levels of supervision
- Efficient, reliable, consistent, and punctual
- Ability to absorb, integrate and execute detailed instructions and feedback
- Strong observation skills
- Must be legally able to work in Canada
- Crop care and maintenance
- Harvesting and handling produce and seed crops
- Weeding (by hand, using hand tools and wheel hoe)
- Pruning and trellising greenhouse crops
- Processing and packing crops and seed
- Processing garlic for sales and for value-added products
- Working with farm volunteers and wwoofers to complete tasks
- Delivering produce to customers, retailers
- Arriving on time in preparation to work in appropriate attire
- Potential additional tasks (if needed): bringing products to market, canning and preserving the harvest.
Term: We are ideally looking for someone from July to October, with dedicated availability in August.
Hours per week: Flexible
Wage: Remuneration for the market garden job is $18/hour for approximately 20 hours/week (could be more or less depending on the week and availability of the right candidate, plus weekly vegetables and farm fare.
Accommodation: On-farm accommodation may be available to rent, details can be discussed with the right candidate.
Please send resume, cover letter and a couple of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letter can be submitted by a written email or video.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT WoodGrain Farm
View more Farm Jobs and Apprenticeships on our Job Board