Heart Acres Farm in Winnipeg, MB is seeking a Greenhouse Manager for the 2020 season!
ABOUT HEART ACRES FARM
Heart Acres Farm is a 1 acre farm located 10 minutes south of Winnipeg in the Red River Valley of Manitoba. We are “friend” owned and operated, and we use no-till and ecological practices in our system. We use hand-tools on the farm, have a hoop-house where we grow our tomatoes, and are adding caterpillar tunnels into our system this season. We have a 50 person CSA, and serve 2 markets in the city, as well as a hand-full of wholesalers. We grow a large variety of crops to serve our customers.
Heart Acres is founded on the philosophy that a small farm can be more than a place where labourers grow food for others. We believe it is possible to work towards growing good food, sustaining our business within a capitalist system, while working against the injustices of that system, and creating spaces for learning, gathering, and healing. This takes shape through the conversations we have in the garden, the people we work with, the events we organize, and the groups we support.
Part of this reimagining for us is practiced in how we make decisions – all members are responsible for different aspects of the farm and all their experiences and opinions matter. It is of the utmost importance to us is to foster a space for open and honest communication so we can create an environment where we are able to take care of ourselves and each other.
We use ecological and no-till farming practices because we believe that is one tangible way we can work towards fostering healthy biologically rich soil, while managing the farm in a way that works towards sequestering carbon rather than releasing it into the atmosphere. We practice transparency with our employees and customers about our operation, and foster an active dialogue about the role we believe ecological agriculture can play in addressing climate and social justice.
We believe in the long-term sustainability of what we are doing. This project is sustained thanks to the support of our community, our team members and those committed to supporting climate and food justice as an avenue for social change. We are looking for team mates who want to join us on this mission.
The workers of Heart Acres are what makes our business what it is. We aim to provide quality employment to those who may struggle to find comfortable work environments in small farming because of racism, homophobia, transphobia, for example.
A successful candidate for this position will mostly work in the greenhouse. This specific position can be tailored to work with folks who have physical limitations.
On accessibility: the farm is not wheelchair accessible. We do not have a four season indoor space, air conditioning or heat.
Our ideal candidate for the job is someone who:
- Has prior experience working on a farm, particularly in an ecological/ organic farm operation.
- Interested, knowledgeable and passionate about no-till and/or ecological farming.
- Self-motivated and able to take charge to get a task done if they see something that needs doing.
- Creative problem solver.
- Able to perform repetitive tasks.
- Physically able to perform tasks including bending, lifting, kneeling, standing.
- Able to work in inclement weather & various conditions: very hot, windy, rainy, cold.
- Able to follow direction, ask questions, and complete tasks efficiently,
- Able to communicate openly and honestly.
- Works well with others in a small closed system.
- Has a good understanding of farm operations.
- Likes working with and is knowledgeable with plants.
- Has a valid drivers license & access to a vehicle for commute to farm.
Greenhouse Manager Duties:
- Starting and transplanting vegetable seedlings in greenhouse.
- Keeping track of seeding & transplant schedule.
- Managing ecological fertilizing schedule.
- Monitoring plant health & recording any relevant information.
- Making soil mixes.
- Keeping greenhouse organized.
- Working alongside & communicating with Field Manager, Operations Manager &
- Harvest Manager to keep farm operations moving smoothly.
- Flexibility with changing priorities throughout the season.
Other Farm Duties:
- Working alongside other staff for bed prep with broadfork, wheel hoe and other hand tools.
- Weeding by hand and with hand tools.
- Planting transplants in the garden.
- Harvesting, cleaning and sorting veggies.
Term: Mid April – mid October
Weekly hours: 30-40 hours/week
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: March 15, 2020
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org
Learn more about Heart Acres Farm