Heart Acres Farm in Winnipeg, MB is looking for a Farm Worker for the 2019 season!
ABOUT HEART ACRES FARM
Heart Acres is a small no till operation, farming on 1½ acres 10 minutes south of Winnipeg, near St Adolphe, MB. We are starting our second season of production, and grow a diversity of plants, vegetables, herbs, fruits and flowers using ecological practices that prioritize soil and water health. We grow for a 70 person CSA, two markets, and restaurants. Save for using the tractor to turn our compost, we primarily use hand tools in our operation. Efficiencies are very important in our system, and using innovative and sustainable equipment and planning is a necessity to keep our farm productive.
Soil biodiversity and health is of the utmost importance to us. As such we have transitioned to being a no till farm. This means investing in smarter technology, growing on less space, and being efficient about how we grow on the land.
We are also slowly working towards making local healthy food more accessible in the food deserts of Winnipeg. Currently we are collaborating with an organization called Mosaic to providing CSA shares to newcomer & refugee families in the city.
Our ideal candidate for the job is someone who
- Is interested, knowledgeable and/or passionate about no till and sustainable farming practices.
- Has prior farming experience.
- Is self-motivated and able to take charge to get a task done if they see something that needs doing (creative problem solver).
- Is hardworking, and physically able to do the tasks required: work in a variety of weather conditions, bending, lifting, kneeling, standing, etc.
- Is able to follow direction, ask questions, and complete tasks efficiently,
- Is able to be organized and help keep the farm that way too.
- Has strong communication skills.
- Has a valid drivers license & access to a vehicle for commute to farm.
- Has an interest in food security issues in Winnipeg.
- Greenhouse work: seeding, transplanting, plant care, record keeping.
- Bed prep, planting, weeding, pest control.
- Field and hoop house tending and maintenance.
- Harvesting, cleaning, and sorting vegetables.
- Irrigation set up, maintenance and operation.
- CSA harvest, prep and distribution.
- Setting up and vending at farmers markets.
Term: April 15th (flexible) to October 12th (flexible)
Weekly hours: Full time (40 hours/week)
Wage: $14/hour. Workers compensation and veggies included.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Learn more about Heart Acres Farm
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.