Our Farmily photo by Thomas Nowaczynski
Happy Hills Farm in Rossland, BC is seeking a Farm Hand for the 2020 season!
About Happy Hills Farm
Happy Hills Farm is an expanding mixed-vegetable farm located in the beautiful Happy Valley area of Rossland, BC. We focus on regenerative farming practices, and strive to grow and provide a diverse array of farm fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs, microgreens and other products for our community. We are eager to welcome another new Farm Hand to our team for the 2020 season who are keenly interested in sustainable local food production.
Our farm is focused on utilizing regenerative farming practices to ensure we are protecting and preserving our surrounding environment as we endeavour to grow good food for our community. Our community is what drives our farm, and ultimately, our biggest goal is to provide an opportunity for our community to deepen their relationship with the food they choose to eat. To us, food is our fuel, and each and every one of us deserves the best fuel to ensure we live strong, healthy lives. It is our mission to grow the best, most nutritious food we can, for as much of the year as we can.
Here are the Farm Hand duties and position requirements:
- Able to do physical work continuously, and able to lift 50lbs.
- Happy to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Good work ethic and ability to efficiently complete repetitive tasks.
- Organized, willing to observe and learn, attentive to detail, and feel comfortable asking questions when you don’t understand something.
- Punctual, and willing to work flexible hours. This position will demand changing hours – sometimes you will be required to be at work early, other times you may be required to work later in the day into the evening.
- Positive and happy attitude (above all else!)
- Able to commit to the full season of work, with no extended vacation time.
- Expect physically demanding work.
- Experience with gardening, small farm / market gardening, farming, treeplanting, fruit picking or other ag-related work is preferred, but is not necessary!
- Ideally we are looking to support people who have a desire to get into farming or food production in the future, but this is not necessary,
- Farming is very hard work, but it is very rewarding work. There is much to learn and experience working on a farm, and it is our goal to create and provide a fun, beautiful, exciting work and learning environment where you look forward to coming to work each day.
- Valid driver’s license is preferred but not required, however, you are responsible for your own reliable transportation to and from work each day.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Willing to abide by and support all Covid 19 related protocols and safety precautions implemented on site
Tasks will include, but will not be limited to: pitchforking, de-sodding, weeding, moving rocks, raking, seeding, transplanting, harvesting, packaging and farm clean-up.
This position is a part-time, seasonal (temporary) position.
The Farm Hand will commence work immediately upon being hired and work through until October 2020 approximately 20-25 hours per week.
Wage: The wage is $15/hour, however, this may be flexible depending on applicant experience.
Why you would like to join our Happy Hills Crew and why you think you would be a good fit for the position of Farm Hand.
Learn More About Happy Hills Farm