Lazy T Farm, in Halkirk, Alberta, is seeing a chicken boss for the 2021 season!
ABOUT THE POSITION
Lazy T Farm raises pastured poultry and is looking for a chicken boss! You would get to be fully involved in our pastured poultry enterprise, learning and helping with our process from chick to freezer for two rounds of birds. This position would start early May and end in September; we can be slightly flexible with dates. We are looking for someone who is interested in regenerative farming and passionate about how the pastured chicken system can improve the land, provide a better life for the birds and a better eating experience for our customers. You would be working alongside us but take initiative to raise up to 2000 birds. This enterprise is very sensitive to weather and predators and requires someone who is willing to treat it like their own and take responsibility for its success. Experience with chickens would be an asset but not required.
- Morning and afternoon chores taking care of birds from chick to butcher
- Feeding, watering, moving birds on pasture every morning
- Set up and clean up of chick brooders – cleaning, sanitizing
- Moving chicks to pasture
- Help gather chickens for butcher
- Help get birds to freezer and to customers
- Help with free range laying hens and washing eggs
- Help with other animals on the farm if interested
Skills and Abilities Required:
- A strong desire and interest in learning about or working in sustainable agriculture
- Mature and positive attitude
- Commitment to the wellbeing of the animals (willing to do a few night checks if necessary)
- Self motivated and willing to take responsibility for work
- Punctuality and strong time management skills
- Must be very physically fit and energetic (must be able to lift minimum 50lbs repeatedly)
- Fast learner
- Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed
- Ability to work in all weather situations
- Ability to drive standard not necessary but considered an asset
STAYING ON THE FARM
Accommodation will be included in this job. There is a fully furnished farm house that is located in the same farm yard. It is tucked away in the trees and has a full kitchen, living room, bathroom, private back deck and wifi.
A personal vehicle will be required as there is no reliable transportation to/from the farm.
Term: May to September 2021 (flexible start and end dates)
Wage: We are offering a monthly salary
plus a percentage-based bonus at the end of each round of birds
plus accommodation in our little farm house and food from the farm.
Hours: Monday – Saturday, Sundays off. Your schedule would be very flexible, required morning and afternoon chores, but other jobs will be done at your own pace with busy times at the brooding and butcher stage.
Please submit a letter of interest, telling us why you are interested in this role, as well as a resume and three professional/personal references.
Please email Jenna at firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: MARCH 15th – but applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so the earlier the better!
This position could be a fit for a Young Agrarians Apprentice. If you are interested in being both the Chicken Boss as well as a YA Apprentice, please apply through the Young Agrarians Prairie Apprenticeship Program and make a note on the application form that you are interested in this position.
When applying, please mention you saw this job posting on youngagrarians.org