The deadline for applications has passed. We thank all those who applied and we have made our hiring decisions.
For current Ignatius Jesuit Centre employment please see: https://ignatiusguelph.ca/get-
Check back with us in January 2021 for our 2021 Farm Internship program!
View more farm jobs and apprenticeships here.
Ignatius Farm in Guelph, ON, is hiring a Farm Associate-Educator for the 2019 season.
Ignatius Farm is looking for passionate, imaginative, eco-minded individuals to help us care for the Ignatius organic farm. You will help build the Ignatius Farm vision of developing local food systems, innovative crop production, eco-spirituality, community shared agriculture, and education programs.
About Ignatius Farm
The Ignatius Jesuit Centre (IJC) is a not-for-profit charity situated on 600 acres of woodlands, wetlands and farmland just outside of Guelph Ontario. IJC welcomes all and is home to Loyola Retreat House & Ignatian Training, Ignatius Farm, the Ignatius Old-Growth Forest, St Brigid’s Villa and Orchard Park Office Centre.
Ignatius Farm grows certified organic vegetables and berries for Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) members, farmers markets, local businesses and service agencies. The Farm’s programs include community gardens, acreage rentals, internships and farmer training, working shares, volunteer opportunities, and several annual community events.
- Background knowledge in gardening, ecological agriculture, greenhouse production, soils, ecology, local food systems and the mindset to integrate experiential education and ecological farming with eco-spirituality and ecological restoration.
- Strong oral communicator and writer of educational materials.
- Proficient with Excel, Microsoft Office suite, newsletter software & social media
- Commitment to Health & Safety mindfulness, working outside in all weather, operating as a cohesive team, and building community.
- Valid G class drivers licence
- First Aid/CPR
The Farm Educator will coordinate Farm educational programming, the Community Gardens program, events, volunteers, and carry out farm outreach & marketing.
- Coordinate, market, and facilitate Farm education programs/curriculum:
- Ignatius Farm Internship in the Principles and Practices of Organic Agriculture (4 terms, April – November); support individual mentorship/independent projects for interns
- workshops for the public – community gardeners, new farmers, school groups
- trainings for field teams (interns, volunteers, field workers) and external groups
- Coordinate Community Gardens program (3 acres, 185-200 plots)
- Coordinate Volunteers
- Coordinate Seasonal Farm events
- Outreach: Teach about farm ecosystems and promote the farm through:
- newsletters, social media, and marketing material content
- CSA share inserts (200-250 households)
- liaise with community and farm training networks
- provide activities and Farm presence at local community events
- Document successes and lessons learned
- Support seasonal marketing, outreach, registration, and sales
- Support field team to grow, harvest and distribution of quality organic vegetables and berries
- Activity ratios: 50% program development & delivery; 30% outreach, marketing, events, sales; 20% field team support
Term: Contract – March 25, 2019 – November 30, 2019;
Hours: 40 hours per week average
Submit resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your letter of interest must specify that you meet all of the following funding eligibility criteria.
This position may be funded externally.
To be eligible for funding, we will prioritize candidates who are:
- 30 years or younger
- Unemployed or underemployed
- Graduates of a recognized post-secondary institution
- Not past participants in any federal youth employment or education program (e.g. Agricultural Youth Green Jobs Initiative, Career Focus)
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status.
Learn More About Ignatius Farm
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.