Glenora Farm in Duncan, BC is looking for a Field Hand for the 2019 season!
ABOUT GLENORA FARM
Glenora Farm is a 97 acre mixed Biodynamic farm on mostly sandy loam soils, consisting of 35 acres of pasture and hay fields, a small flock of East Friesen dairy sheep, a small herd of Dexter beef cattle, a 2 acre intensive mixed annual vegetable and perennial garden, 2 hoophouses, large compost facility, herb garden, and an onsite workshop program (weavery, beeswax candles, herb processing, forestry, cooking, woodwork etc.), which adds value to the garden produce through processing for sale as crafts, health products, and food products.
Our Farm is non-certified organic and biodynamic. We follow the Canadian Organic Standards and Permitted Substance list, apply biodynamic preparations and otherwise seek out ecological farming practices that fit within these two other frameworks.
Learn more about Glenora Farm:
- Some prior farm/garden-related experience preferred
- Tractor operation skills an asset
- College, University, or CEGEP degree or diploma, preferably related to agriculture, ecology
- Must be very physically fit and deeply enjoy hard physical work outdoors in all weather (frost, rain, wind, heat) for long hours, including extended bending and lifting heavy loads
- Basic experience with mechanics, carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work an asset
- Excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to balance efficiency and thoroughness/quality in all tasks
- Attention to detail, cleanliness, and good aesthetic sense
- Highly self-motivated, positive attitude, adaptable, organized
- Ability to work calmly, prioritize tasks, and complete them under tight deadlines
- Ability to work well alone and in a team
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with sometimes limited supervision
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Willing and able to live respectfully and intensively with 50 other people on site including adults with developmental challenges, and families with children
- Valid Drivers’ licence
- Must submit to a Criminal Record Check
You will primarily work and learn alongside the Garden Manager, who brings 11 years experience in Certified Organic vegetable production. You will also work alongside the Garden Crew of about 4-8, the livestock Farmer and herb workshop team. Main duties include:
- Field prep, amendment application, seedling care, transplanting, irrigation, weed/pest/disease/fertility management, mulching, cover cropping, harvest, post-harvest
- Livestock care (feeding, watering, haying, fencing, and other daily tasks)
- Compost turning and spreading
- Applying Biodynamic Preparations
- Small equipment and hand tool operation. Tractor operation if sufficient experience
- Infrastructure and tool maintenance, repair and improvements
- Design/build projects as needed
- Field and sales record keeping and data entry,
- Helping direct companions and volunteers in their field work
- “After hours” tasks such as shutting off irrigation, opening/closing facilities, frost and snow management in hoophouses , troubleshooting and monitoring garden predator activity
- Maintaining a clean and aesthetically pleasing garden/farm appearance
- Supply runs, deliveries, and other farm tasks as needed
Term: 8 months (April to November). Preferred start April 1, 2019. Preferred end date Nov 29, 2019. Some flexibility for the right candidate. Option to work 35 consecutive weeks or take one week unpaid vacation in October.
Weekly hours: Average 7 hours/day (more in summer, less in off-season), plus one hour unpaid lunch, 5 days/week, includes some “off-hours” work as needed. Early mornings required in July/August.
Wage: Minimum wage ($12.65/hour, goes up to $13.85/hour June 1) plus employer-paid contributions- EI, CPP, Worksafe BC, 4% vacation. You also have access to any food the garden produces.
Accommodation: Small, private, 10 x 10 timber frame cabin onsite with bar fridge, gas cooktop, loft bed, auxiliary heat and access to shared bathroom, laundry, kitchen facilities, and wifi in neighbouring house. $200/month, includes utilities. Option to bring own trailer/tiny home.
Food: All food provided and cooked/prepared for you using farm produce and purchased staples. Most meals eaten communally. You will be asked occasionally to help cook a meal. All dietary restrictions can be accommodated. $240/month. You also have access to any food the garden produces.
Other: Option to pay into use of shared vehicle or bring your own. Otherwise, rides go into town many times daily and bikes are available.
We are a family-friendly, LGBTQ-friendly, all abilities-friendly farm. Funder stipulations require that candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age
- Canadian Citizen
- Graduated within last 3 years from a College, University, or CEGEP
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Please send a resume and cover letter with your contact information included and confirmation that you meet the 3 funding eligibility criteria listed above to Andrew Rushmere, email@example.com
Deadline: January 18th
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.