Galiano Conservancy Forest Garden on Galiano Island, BC is seeking a Permaculture Technician for the 2020 season!
The Galiano Conservancy Association seeks a highly motivated individual for the position of Permaculture Technician. This position is a 16-week full-time internship that offers engaging work and an opportunity to gain career skills in the beautiful setting of Galiano Island from May – August, 2019.
As a Permaculture Technician, you will work with the Agriculture Coordinator to care for and operate the nursery, forest garden and related projects. Candidates with experience in organic gardening, and an understanding of the seasonal needs of a garden are encouraged to apply.
About Galiano Conservancy Forest Garden
We have three social enterprises operating in the Forest Garden: Forest Garden tea, produce delivery, and a native plant and Forest Garden Nursery. The Forest Garden is located mid island on Galiano Island at the Millard Learning Centre. We sell locally. We use mostly hand tools although familiarity with a weed wacker, a drill, and an irrigation system will be helpful. An understanding of harvesting, drying and processing herbs is helpful. Plant i.d. and experience farming will also come in handy. Must be comfortable living in a semi remote location (Galiano Island). A vehicle to get to work is also helpful.
Check out our website for the values and mission of the Galiano Conservancy Association. The Galiano Community Forest Garden was designed as a model of climate change resilient local food production.
Mindful, hardworking, adept at listening and communicating. Good plant i.d. skills. Comfortable working independently.
This position will require physical, social, and intellectual work. The candidate must demonstrate a capacity for leadership, the ability to work as part of a team, and a willingness to learn and engage themselves in hard work. Applicants must be prepared to move to Galiano for the summer, spend long hours outside doing physical labour, and be available for work on weekends. The applicant must have current Standard First Aid, or be willing to obtain it before coming to Galiano. Position is pending funding from Canada Summer Jobs and students must meet the Canada Summer Jobs criteria and must be eligible to work in Canada, and be between the ages of 15-30. A criminal record check will be required, and will be arranged upon arrival. The Conservancy operates on a variety of locations throughout the island and a class 5 driver’s license is required as well as access to a reliable vehicle/transportation. Knowledge of the various uses of native plants and cultivated species and an understanding of how to market and sell related products is an asset.
Experience in organic gardening, and permaculture practices is an asset and students with a connection to Galiano will be given preference. A background in Permaculture, Environmental Studies, Biology, Geography, Restoration of Natural Systems, Conservation, Forestry, Environmental Education or other complimentary field is desirable. Direct experience in any of the skills mentioned for this position, particularly a demonstrated capacity for working in remote field conditions, is an asset.
You will work directly with experienced Galiano Conservancy staff and your duties may include:
- Propagation and care for native plants
- Soil building and soil care
- Caring for the forest garden and operation of a mechanical/computerized watering system
- Garden harvesting
- Bokashi composting
- Identification of native species and forest garden plants
- Removal of invasive exotic vegetation from protected areas
- Monitoring ecological responses to restoration activities
- Assisting with trail building
- Assisting with Species at Risk monitoring and inventory programs
- Native plant and forest garden (including added value) sales at Saturday market
- Writing articles for publication in our local community magazine and for our social media outlets
- Research and review of related literature in permaculture
- Public speaking at community events and to Conservancy user groups
Skills and Experience Gained
You will gain skills and experience in most, if not all, the following areas:
- Propagation of native plants and forest garden species
- Operations of a mechanical computerized watering system
- Composting systems and applications
- Identifying native and exotic species, including species at risk
- Understanding of the affects of forestry and recreational activities on ecosystems
- Working as part of a team with restoration ecologists and environmental interpreters
- Group facilitation with children, youth and adults
- Public relations at local public events
- Communications including oral presentations and writing for print and online (social media)
- Conducting research and literature review
- Working in remote and rugged field conditions
Term: 16-weeks: May – August, 2020
Weekly Hours: 35 hours per week (Full-time)
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicant must be between the age of 15 and 30 years old due to funding restrictions.
For more information, contact Jennifer Stackhouse, Operations Coordinator at: Jennifer.email@example.com Phone: 250-539-2424 or visit our website: www.galianoconservancy.ca
Learn More About Galiano Conservancy Forest Garden