The Galiano Conservancy Association on Galiano Island, BC is seeking a Sustainable Food Systems Technician for the 2022 season!
The Galiano Conservancy Association seeks a highly-motivated individual for the position of Sustainable Food Systems Technician. This 16-week full-time internship offers engaging work and an opportunity to gain career skills in the beautiful setting of Galiano Island from May through August.
Sustainable Food Systems Technician
Start date: May 2, 2022
Wage: $18.00 / hour + 4% Vacation Pay
Hours: 35 hours / week (on average), typically Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm
Anticipated End Date: August 27, 2022
Duration: 16 weeks equivalent (560 hours over 4-month period)
Job Details: As the Food Systems Technician, you will work independently and in a team on a variety of projects related to sustainable food systems. Primarily, you will be responsible for assisting theSustainable Food Systems Coordinator to operate an active plant nursery and forest garden (food forest),and their associated social enterprises. This position involves an average of five days of work each week,based out of the Millard Learning Centre (10825 Porlier Pass Road) on Galiano Island.
Tasks and responsibilities may include:
- Propagation and care for native and edible plants
- Soil building and soil care
- Caring for the forest garden and operation of a mechanical/computerized watering system
- Garden harvesting
- Harvesting, processing and blending herbs for tea
- Maintenance and operation of demonstration-scale compost systems
- Identification of native species and forest garden plants
- Removal of invasive exotic vegetation from protected areas
- Native/edible plant and forest garden (including added value) sales at Saturday market
- Writing articles and posts for print and web publication
- Public speaking at community events and to visiting groups
- Assisting with restoration activities and monitoring resulting ecological responses
- Recording Food Forest and Nursery data in spreadsheets
- Assisting with trail building, Species at Risk monitoring and education programs
Skills and experience gained may include:
- Propagation of native plants and forest garden species
- Operation of a mechanical computerized watering system
- Composting systems and applications
- Identifying native and exotic species, including species at risk
- Understanding of the effects of forestry and recreational activities on ecosystems
- Working as part of a team with restoration ecologists and environmental interpreters
- Group facilitation with children, youth and adults
- Public relations at local public events
- Communications including writing for print and online (including social media)
- Conducting research and literature review
- Working in remote and rugged field conditions
This position will require physical, social, and intellectual work. The candidate must demonstrate a capacity for leadership, the ability to work effectively both as part of a team and independently, and a willingness to learn and engage themselves in hard work. Applicants must be prepared to move to Galiano for May through August, spend long hours outside doing physical labour, and be available for work on weekends. The applicant must have current Standard First Aid, or be willing to obtain it before coming to Galiano. Position is pending wage subsidy funding, and to meet the funding criteria, applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 30 and be either Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or a person with refugee status eligible to work in Canada. A criminal record check may be required, and will be arranged before arrival. Because the Galiano Conservancy conducts activities at a variety of locations throughout Galiano Island, a class-5 driver’s license is required and access to a reliable personal vehicle/transportation is strongly preferred.
BIPOC applicants and applicants with a connection to Galiano Island will be given preference; please identify yourself in your cover letter if applicable. A background in Environmental Studies, Agriculture, Biology, Geography, Restoration of Natural Systems, Conservation, Environmental Education or another complementary field is desirable. Direct experience in any of the skills mentioned for this position is an asset, as is a demonstrated knowledge of the various uses of native plants and cultivated species and an understanding of how to market and sell related products.
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Monday, January 31st 2022 with the job title* in the email subject line. Please ensure cover letter and resume files follow these naming conventions:
*If you are applying for more than one of the job opportunities currently available, please submit separate emails; you can choose to submit the same cover letter for all desired positions, or provide custom cover letters for individual positions.
Due to the volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates will be sent interview invitations by February 15th. Although we prefer to interview applicants in-person, remote video conference (Zoom) interviews can take place as an alternative for candidates who are unable to be physically present.
Thank you for your interest, and we look forward to receiving your application.
To learn more about the Galiano Conservancy Association, please visit www.galianoconservancy.ca.
Accommodations: The successful candidate, if not already a resident of Galiano, is responsible for securing rental housing on Galiano Island from May through August, as well as for all transportation costs when commuting to and from work (10825 Porlier Pass Road). The Galiano Conservancy will help identify rental housing opportunities through our local contacts.
COVID-19 Pandemic: The Galiano Conservancy is committed to providing a safe working environment, and will modify the job activities and working arrangement (e.g., work from home) based on the public health orders, and in consultation with the successful candidate. Currently, all staff are fully vaccinated, and masks are required to be worn when working indoors, or when working in close proximity with others outdoors.
If you have specific questions not addressed here, please contact our office at 250-539-2424.
Learn More About Galiano Conservancy Forest Garden
View more farm jobs and apprenticeships on your Job Board