Interested in growing a garden that will feed and educate youth about good food? Check out this Fresh Roots Farms job posting!
ABOUT FRESH ROOTS
Fresh Roots is a non-profit organization working with school communities towards Good Food For All: everyone deserves access to healthy food, land, and community. We work towards this vision by cultivating engaging gardens and programs that catalyze healthy eating, ecological stewardship, and community celebration. We farm using organic techniques
Our Delta farm is operated in association with the Delta School District and is used both as market farm and as outdoor learning space.
Find Fresh Roots at: www.freshroots.ca or on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter at @freshrootsfarms
You are a keen gardener already and feel comfortable working outside through the summer. You might have been a camp counselor in the past and love working with youth. In all, you’ll grow a stupendous garden and get it ready for the school year to come and engage the community in farm-based learning!
- Must meet Canada Summer Jobs Requirements
- Minimum 1 year growing experience in small-scale agricultural production
- Experience working with youth as a camp counsellor or similar position
- Physically fit and happy to work outdoors in all conditions
- Strong organizational capacity and attention to detail
- Have a valid class 5 driver’s license and comfortable driving a vehicle
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates respect and empathy for all
- Comfortable with event planning, logistics and balancing multiple priorities
- Interest and knowledge of social media/blogging
- Able to work with a team and independently
- Have a smart phone and access to a computer
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Passion for empowering youth to grow themselves and good food!
The Schoolyard Farm Worker is a full time seasonal position funded through Canada Summer Jobs. We’re looking for the right people to help us Grow Good Food For All. You will work with the Delta School District to help grow educational farms. You’ll run regular volunteer programs, helping high-school aged youth to grow, learn, and cook.
Position dates: May 15 – August 24
DOE, but not less than $15/hr.
E-mail a short cover letter (500 words) and resume (in one document) to email@example.com with your name and “Schoolyard Farm Worker: Delta” in the subject. Early submission of application increases likelihood of an interview. Review of applications and interviews will begin on February 15th. Once filled this application will be closed. We regret that due to the high volume of applicants only those selected for interviews will be contacted.