Everyone should have access to healthy food, soil, and community. We enact this vision by cultivating engaging gardens and programs that catalyze healthy eating, ecological stewardship, and community celebration. This urban farm job position will help Fresh Roots steward two 1⁄2 acre schoolyard market gardens on school grounds in the heart of East and South Vancouver. The food we grow is eaten in local school cafeterias, various Neighbourhood House food security initiatives, and by neighbours. Our fields are hands-on learning classrooms; engaging school communities and residents of Vancouver in addressing food security, community health, and vocational skills development.
The Schoolyard Farmer grows Good Food For All. They are outside in the garden planting, harvesting, weeding, and acting as stewards of our ecologically managed urban farms. They will work in partnership with our Farm Manager and summer staff to ensure our schoolyard farms are productive and welcoming spaces. The Schoolyard Farm Worker will provide leadership to Farm Interns and volunteers to build agricultural knowledge and complete daily farm tasks. The Schoolyard Farmer ensures that our farms are beautiful spaces ready to host programing for youth and neighbours year round.
Areas of Responsibility
- Ensure food production meets crop plan specifications.
- Farms are well maintained and support ongoing programming.
- Manage farm logistics and coordinate farm equipment and tools.
- Lead schoolyard farm interns in developing critical farm skills and supporting ongoing farm tasks.
- Lead farm volunteer program by supporting volunteer opportunities on the farm, and developing relationships with farm volunteers.
- Minimum 1 year growing experience in small-scale agricultural production
- Excellent attention to detail and experienced in farm record keeping and spreadsheets.
- Physically fit and happy to work outdoors in all conditions
- Able to communicate with diplomacy and respect with people of all cultures, ages, and backgrounds (Mandarin/Cantonese/Hindi/Punjabi/Tagalog/French an asset)
- Must have valid class 5 driver’s license and comfortable driving delivery vehicles.
- Must have a smart phone and access to a computer.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Seasonal: February 1, 2017 and ends November 31, 2017
- Full Time March – September.
- $16-18hr based on experience.
How to Apply
E-mail a short cover letter (500 words) and resume (in one document) to email@example.com with your name and the name of the job position in the subject.
Applications must be received no later than November 30, 2016. Review of applications and interviews will begin immediately upon reception. We regret that due to the high volume of applicants only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Fresh Roots hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply.
Application Deadline: November 30th – Rolling Application Process