Four Beat Farm in Pemberton, BC is seeking field crew members and a CSA Lead for the 2020 season!
ABOUT FOUR BEAT FARM
Four Beat Farm is a certified organic vegetable farm in the Pemberton Meadows in Lil’wat Territory. The farm was started in 2016 and is run by Naomi with the help of two draft horses, a sassy dog, and lots of human power. We are looking for motivated, hardworking individuals to join our farm team for 2020 and beyond.
We have 3 acres in vegetable production with 30+ varieties, with a focus on summer and fall storage crops. Our Harvest Share CSA program is at the core of what we do, and we also attend a local farmers market. Secondary projects for 2020 include a small beef herd and, with the right team, some value-added canning and processing. We do not currently have a tractor, and instead make efficient use of hand tools and our team of draft horses.
Pemberton has a short and intense growing season with hot summer days and lots of mud, rain, bugs, and cold in the spring and fall. Farming here requires a real appreciation for good food, being outdoors in all kinds of weather, moving quickly to making the most of the summer months, and celebrating the seasonal nature of farming.
If you are a person who:
- Is smart, strong, kind, and takes pride in hard work
- Will take direction and pay attention to detail
- Enjoys working independently and in a team
- Is physically fit; able to bend over for long periods of time; able to lift up to 50lb
- Will balance speed and quality to meet (and exceed) our production standards
- Is reliable
- Is comfortable around and respectful of large animals
- Is excited about local food and farming
All members of the farm team will be part of: planting, seeding, weeding, irrigating, harvesting, washing, and packing many types of vegetables. Farming experience is an asset but not required. Horse experience is not necessary, but a level of comfort and respect for large animals is important as they are part of the day-to-day operations of the farm.
We have several spots on our field crew and are also seeking a CSA Lead for 2020:
- Field crew: Must be comfortable being outdoors in all weather, learning new tasks, and working alongside fellow crew members, volunteers, and independently as needed.
- CSA Lead: You will be a key member of the field crew and also taking on an administrative and outreach role for the farm’s CSA program. Responsibilities include CSA membership growth and communications (advertising, sales, social media, newsletters, events) and/or help with our Wednesday CSA pick ups and deliveries. An out-going personality, familiarity with social media marketing and/or event planning, and an enthusiasm for farming and food are all desirable.
Term: We are hiring for part-time and full-time positions. A full-season (May to October 31st) commitment is ideal, but we are flexible and everyone is encouraged to apply, students included.
Hours: Workdays are generally 7am-3:30pm with a break for lunch and a mid-morning pause for tea, Monday to Friday. We will work with your other work/play/life commitments and, in turn, we expect you to give 110% in the field.
Compensation: This is a paid position with an hourly wage dependent on experience ($15-$18/hour plus veggies).
The space and support to have a personal project on the farm (bees, flowers, chickens, etc.), mentorship to learn more about running a farm or farming with draft horses, and opportunities to grow with the farm into a leadership role in future seasons are all possible for the right candidate.
In your application, let us know the following:
- Experience with horses
- Experience vegetable farming
- Valid BC Class 5 and clean driving record
- Availability (start/end dates and days/week)
- Eligible to work in Canada (required)
Basic on-farm housing is available for rent. Please specify if you are interested in living on the farm and/or if you already have local housing secured.
The farm is 12km from town so reliable transportation in the form of a personal vehicle or a healthy appetite for bicycling is a must.
If you are interested in applying, please have a look at the farm website at www.fourbeatfarm.ca and on social media (links below)
Send your resume along with a genuine letter of interest to Naomi at email@example.com.
Deadline is April 1, 2020, but we will interview as applications are received so we suggest applying ASAP if you are interested.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
Learn More About Four Beat Farm
Visit them online at fourbeatfarm.ca