SilverTip Ranch in Fort Steele, BC is seeking an Organic Farm Intern!
ABOUT SilverTip Ranch
SilverTip Ranch is a fourth-generation family farm. We certified organic in 2010 with PACS and 2 years ago started a regenerative grazing program. We have a small cow/calf operation and produce beef to sell locally, organic hay crops for winter feed and organic garlic to sell along with our beef at the local farmer’s market. We are looking for a full-time farm intern for the spring and summer (5 months) who is interested in learning about organic agriculture and regenerative agriculture practices. This is an opportunity to learn how to operate a small organic beef cattle operation.
We are certified organic with PACS #16-458. Our vision is to leave the land we farm in a healthier state than when we started. We are working to increase soil health and water holding capacity on the land as we prepare for climate change.
Applicant must demonstrate an interest in a career in farming and food production systems through previous work or volunteer experience, this can also be demonstrated by studies in Agricultural sciences, agricultural technology, Agricultural management, Land and Food systems or other related areas.
This job is physically demanding and requires you to work outside in all types of weather. There will be heavy lifting, bending, kneeling, digging.
Candidate must have an excellent work ethic and be punctual and must be willing to work alone or with others. Must be physically fit and self-motivated. Must also be able to listen well and follow instructions carefully and have good attention to detail.
Training and Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Learn basic operation of a small organic cattle ranch
- Learn about soil health and how cattle can be used to aid soil regeneration
- Low stress livestock handling and animal husbandry
- Set up, move, and maintain irrigation systems for forage crops
- Set up and move electric fence systems for regenerative grazing rotation
- Use of Farm equipment and small power tools and hand tools
- Build and maintain fences and corrals
- Weeding, harvesting, and cleaning garlic
- Harvesting hay crops and moving hay bales
- Invasive plant species management
- General Farm Maintenance and machine and tool maintenance
Term: Start April 18, 2022 for 5 months, but this could be flexible depending on candidate.
Hours per week: 40. May be some overtime on occasion
Accommodation: There is on farm accommodation available
Please send your resume with cover letter and include at least two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
Please fill in the subject heading of the email with the words, Farm Intern Position.
Deadline to apply: April 8,2022
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org