This position has been filled.
Fort Berens Estate Winery in Lillooet, BC is seeking a full-time Irrigation Tech!
About Fort Berens Estate Winery
Our goal at Fort Berens Winery is to create handcrafted award-winning wines that reflect our unique Lillooet terroir. We like to have our wines tell the story of our terroir with limited intervention and manipulation. As a result, we have started to work as a sustainable farm. We use many organic practices and we are continually trying to improve and expand these every year. As an example, after abandoning herbicide sprays in our vineyard, and moving to finger weeding, we’re currently working on introducing cover crops to minimize tilling and working the soils, while reducing compaction and improving the organic matter in our soils in a natural way. We mow alternate rows, not the entire vineyard at once, to make sure that beneficial insects can find a place to go, and by doing so, keeping pests out of the vines as much as possible.
We have created and improved natural landscaping elements around the vineyards and winery to reduce the need for irrigation in our landscaping, to show to our visitors the beauty of the locally grown plants, to encourage local wildlife (birds of prey, insects etc.), and to educate tourists about the ecology of our desert-like area.
The important thing is that we keep improving, working with the local invasive species, naturalist societies and beekeepers to improve our practices while maintaining a healthy crop. In addition, once we move into the winemaking process, we often ferment with indigenous yeasts.
Our philosophy is to be an open, honest, and inclusive company and we encourage learning and development in the workplace.
- A minimum of one-year general irrigation experience would be an asset
- Passion for working outdoors, wine, viticulture, plants, and healthy soils
- Self-starter, with initiative and the desire to increase knowledge and skills
- A leader and team player, able to work and interact with many different players
- Physically fit and able to work outdoors throughout the year
- Strong, effective communication and problem-solving skills
- Vineyard or Fruit tree experience is a bonus but not required
- Sense of humour is definitely a bonus
The Irrigation Technician will be responsible for all Irrigation related duties:
- Fieldwork including checking irrigation lines, cleaning filters, plugging leaks, replacing emitters/drip lines, Fertigation and repairing below the ground pipe.
- End of season Blow Out lines
- Supervise and maintain the operation of pumps, motors, and filter systems.
- Recording of daily irrigation times, Soil Moisture probes and fertigation amounts by block.
- Adhere to all Company Environmental, Health and Safety Policies
- During a large portion of the year, you will be performing other vineyard field work that is applicable, like pruning, thinning, tractor operations, mowing, harvesting, etc.
Term: This is a full time, year-round position.
Hours: The Irrigation Tech must be willing to work non-standard hours (minimum 40hrs/week), with possible evenings and weekends, as needed
Wage: Starting salary and benefits will be according to experience.
Send your resume plus a motivational letter/email before January 31st to:
Chris Marquardt, Vineyard Foreman. firstname.lastname@example.org
Fort Berens Estate Winery
PO Box 758, Lillooet, BC V0K 1V0
Deadline to apply: February 28, 2021
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org
Learn More About Fort Berens Estate Winery