This position was filled as of April 1, 2019.
Fickle Fig Farm in Saanich, BC is hiring a permanent Livestock Farmer!
About Fickle Fig Farm
The Fickle Fig Farm is looking to hire a passionate individual to be our livestock farmer. We raise livestock as well as grow annual & perennial vegetables, fruits, flowers and herbs for our year-round farmers market, bakery and bistro in North Saanich. We use our very own produce and ingredients with an added Italian flair. We believe in sustainable farming and only use what is in season. Here at the Fickle Fig we aim to build community whenever possible; providing a gathering place for farmers, artisans, and community members.
ABOUT THE JOB
The farm is looking for someone who wants to work with animals. We currently raise pigs, sheep, turkeys and laying hens. The first couple of months the livestock farmer (that’s you) will need to build and repair existing animal shelters. Experience working with livestock is preferred but basic building experience is an asset. This role will also include some work in other areas of the farm, including assisting with vegetable harvest and post-harvest processing during peak season.
The livestock farmer must have their own vehicle for transportation to livestock located on two separate properties on the Peninsula. This is a newly created position with flexibility to expand your role over time and grow with the business. The successful applicant is excited about sustainable livestock management, community and the environment. We’re looking for a positive individual that is great at problem solving and always looks to improve their work and take things to the next level. We take pride and responsibility in what we do, and we hope you do too!
- Valid Class 5 Drivers license
- Experience with tools and building materials
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with limited supervision
- Must be physically fit and capable of hard physical work and repetitive tasks
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather
- Attention to detail, cleanliness, and good aesthetic sense
- Highly self-motivated, positive attitude, adaptable, organized
- Ability to work well alone
- Willingness to raise livestock animals for slaughter
Our Ideal Candidate
- Is looking for long term employment
- Never leaves a job unfinished and has exceptional follow through
- Has an extremely high level of personal responsibility
- Is cool-headed, grounded and reasonable
- Is proactive and anticipates future needs
- Is not overwhelmed or dissuaded by problems but instead looks for solutions and permanent fixes
- Building, repairing, and cleaning animal shelters
- Livestock care of pastured pigs, flock of sheep, laying hens, pastured turkeys (feeding, watering, managing herd/flock health, other daily tasks)
- Rotational pasture and perimeter fence setup, maintenance, and repair
- Maintaining a clean and aesthetically pleasing farm appearance
- Small and large machinery and tool operation
- Feed/Supply runs with farm truck
- Assisting with vegetable harvest and post-harvest processing
- Weeding vegetable beds
- Misc farm tasks as needed
Term: Immediate start, permanent position with room to grow and expand your role.
Weekly hours: 20hrs/week for the first month as a trial to make sure it’s a good fit, then moving to 40hrs/week. Not all 40hrs will be working directly with livestock, there will be other misc farm tasks involved during the work week
Wage: $17.00/hr to start and farm produce
Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your work experience and what you can bring to the fickle fig team to email@example.com.
Learn More The Fickle Fig Farm
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.