Shuswap Organics in Enderby, BC is seeking a Farm Hand!
ABOUT Shuswap Organics
Shuswap Organics is a certified organic mixed vegetable farm. We’re growing on 4 acres of land, and sell mostly to wholesale customers. We use some tractors, walk behind tractor, and lots of human power! We, Owen and Emily, are first generation farmers and have been farming in the North Okanagan for five years. We’re looking for a new Farm Hand to join some existing team members and ourselves for the 2022 season.
We believe in growing healthy fresh food for our community.
We are looking for a farm assistant to join our team for the 2022 season. We’re looking for someone with great work ethic, interest in organic agriculture, isn’t afraid of hard work, and is willing to work in all weather. Experience working on a farm is an asset!
- Hard working, self motivated, quick learning
- Ideally one season working on a farm, but at minimum some home gardening experience
- Able to work as part or a team and also comfortable working independently at times
- Good communication skills, and cooperative/collaborative nature
- Interested in organic vegetable growing
- Organized, task oriented, detail oriented and efficient
- Upbeat and positive personality
- Day to day operations include: seeding, transplanting, harvesting, weeding, washing produce, irrigation, fertility and pest management, bed preparation, etc.
- Keep diligent production records of seeding dates, planting dates, harvest yields, amendment application, manure management, etc.
- Packing for wholesale and weekly vegetable boxes (through winter months)
- Work with the rest of the team to ensure farm spaces and equipment are left in a clean and organized manner at the end of each workday
- Possibly include: Food processing (winter season) – working in commercial kitchen environment to process farm produce into value added products (including cleaning, packaging, and preparing orders).
Term: May/June to late October (possibility for work throughout the winter as well)
Hours per week: 40 hours/week
Wage: Starting at $18/hour
Accommodation: On-farm accommodation is not available. However, off-site accommodation for affordable rental price may be possible for the right candidate. Please indicate your interest in accommodation in your application and we will follow up with more information.
Please submit a 1 page (MAXIMUM) letter of interest telling us why you’re interested in this role, and what you would bring to our team. Also include your resume (maximum 2 pages) and at least 2 professional references. Email to Emily.Jubenvill@gmail.com by May 15, 2022 with the subject line: Shuswap Organics Job Application.
While we thank all those who apply, only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. ONLY applications from Canadian residents (or people with a valid work visa will be considered).
Deadline to apply: May 15, 2022
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Shuswap Organics