Earth Candy Farm has a 1.5 acre market garden, cut flower biz, and farm store on Salt Spring Island, BC. They’re hiring a farm worker for the 2018 season!
About Earth Candy Farm
We began farming because we believe it makes a considerable difference to the health of our planet and because food is the first step to the health of our fellow humans. We also simply enjoy growing food and flowers; being outside in our beautiful garden and combining creativity and artistry to overcome challenges and slowly fill in the canvas of our farm. We strive to grow nutrient dense food and make it as accessible as possible.
Check out Earth Candy Farm on Instagram: instagram.com/earthcandyfarm
The nuts and bolts of our project are as follows:
- 1.5 acre market garden, with mixed vegetables, berries, and cut-flowers
- All produce sold through our onsite farm store, which is open on Saturdays year round. We also hope to open on a second day this summer.
- Flowers are sold through the farm store, wholesaled off island, and used for local weddings and events.
- Garden is not certified organic but we employ organic practices such as cover cropping, reduced tillage, reduced plastic use, certified organic compost and amendments, organic seeds, and crop rotation.
- Various animals are integrated into our system, including pigs, ducks, and goats.
The ideal employee will have the following skills:
- Self motivated.
- Able to work alone or alongside senior and junior farm staff.
- Interest and ability to direct others as season progresses.
- Good judgement. Makes decisions independently or ask for advice, depending on the situation.
- Follows written and oral instructions effectively and correctly.
- Demonstrates an awareness of the big picture, both in attitude and in execution of tasks.
- Considerate, positive, honest, and has a good sense of humour!
- Passionate about farming, local food, ecology, food accessibility, community, and being in the outdoors.
- Comfortable working at a fast pace, with attention to detail, in wet/cold/hot weather.
- At least one season of previous farming experience is required.
We are looking for a full time, permanent employee to join our farm team, from March through November, with a holiday period December-February (although part time work is available during this period). Our dream is to bring someone on who is interested in farming as a career path and would like to make Salt Spring Island their home for the next few years.
The position is for 32 hours per week
There are affordable, on-site, living opportunities if that is suitable for a prospective employee. The wage for this job is $15/hour.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Claire: email@example.com