KinPark Youth Urban Farm in Duncan, BC is seeking an Intern!
ABOUT KinPark Youth Urban Farm
CGC first planted seeds at KinPark Youth Urban farm in 2007. After site plan presentations were made and subsequently approved by North Cowichan and City of Duncan councils in late 2012, CGC’s Skills link team of 6 local youth, began to bring their vision of an urban farm on park land to life. This included the transformation of a quarter acre of grass at Kinsman Park into a lush growing space and the construction of a passive solar greenhouse next to the retrofitted pool building.
What has emerged since is a youth-led urban farm and demonstration site based on the principles of permaculture, that aims to train young people how to grow food and run a business, provide increased access to local and sustainably produced food, and educate community members of all ages on various aspects of urban agriculture.
Since July 2014, KinPark expanded its programming by adding in a summer camp called KinPark Kids Camp. Every summer, KinPark blossoms with learning, laughter, and magical friendships from children and their families attending KinPark Kids Camp. This camp is for children ages 6 to 10 to engage in hands-on learning that includes growing, harvesting, cooking, and all-things related to sustainability.
Cowichan Green Community (CGC) is a non-profit organization that has been focusing on environmental sustainability in the Cowichan Region since March 2004. CGC’s mandate is to improve food security by developing strong relationships with local food producers, increasing capacity for local food production (both urban and rural), and empowering people with the knowledge, skills and resources they need to feed their community.
Our Vision and Purpose:
We envision a food-secure Cowichan nourished by celebrating our connection to food, to our environment, and to each other. Cowichan Green Community (CGC) cultivates resilient, inclusive, and healthy local food systems and vibrant social fabric.
Our mission is to cultivate food, community, and resilience.
CGC is a community leader, creating a future where our foundation is built on health and well-being; our environment, economy and social fabric are resilient and inclusive; where we celebrate our connection to the earth and to each other.
CGC is also a hub for social innovation, community engagement and community building.
CGC creates positive change through education, regenerative projects, and celebration.
CGC’s Guiding Principles are evident in all the work that we do: we value inclusion, responsibility, commitment, positive solutions, diversity, collaboration, and environmental reverence.
CGC offers a work environment where you will feel safe and supported. Your successes are our successes, and we will make sure you get what you need to make that happen.
Diversity and Inclusion
CGC believes that communities include everyone, regardless of what you look like, where you’re from, who you love or how you think. Just come as you are and grab a plate. If you eat food and want to help others to do the same, you have a place with us.
The ideal candidate has:
- Previous family/youth programing experience
- Previous garden and/or farm work experience
- Good organizational skills
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet
- Knowledge and understanding of food security an asset
- Previous work at a community non-profit organization an asset
Urban Farm Programing:
- Assist with the delivery of educational farm activities for groups and individuals, including planning, scheduling, and facilitating
- Assist with the coordination workshops and learning opportunities
- Assist with promoting programs including press releases, website, posters, social media etc.
- Assist with community outreach and project coordination
- Assist with the coordination of programs in collaboration with other organizations
- Communicate with community partners, community members, and park visitors
- Assist with KinPark Kids Camp as required
- Complete budgets and track volunteer hours and expenses
- Assist with running the KinPark Kids camp and supervision of camp counselors
Youth Urban Farm Planning and Production:
- Assist with general day-to-day operations of the farm including planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, marketing, etc.
- Assist with ongoing construction at the farm
- Assist with marketing materials such as advertisements, posters, webpages, etc.
- Assist with maintaining first aid kit
- Assist with hygiene of facilities including bathroom and mini-kitchen area
- Assist with outreach to farms in the area, recruiting new farms, and selling advertising
- Assist with compiling all farm application info
- Assist with laying out the map
- Assist with liaising with graphic designer and printer
- Assist with distributing maps throughout the region
- Assist with writing press releases/creating promotional material for the website and the Valley Voice etc.
- Communicate clearly with staff, clients, and Management.
- Keep the KinPark Urban Farm Manager fully informed on the status of the client sites.
- Advise the KinPark Urban Farm Manager immediately with any safety, health, thefts, or other vandalism issues.
- Perform other duties as required by the KinPark Urban Farm Manager.
Term: ASAP until March 31, 2024
Hours per week: 35
Please send resume to email@example.com
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org