Cowichan Green Community in Duncan, British Columbia is seeking a KinPark Youth Urban Farm Intern!
ABOUT Cowichan Green Community
Urban farm setting producing a variety of veggies near the heart of Duncan.
Cowichan Green Community Society, (CGC) is a non-profit organization that has been focusing on environmental sustainability in the Cowichan Region since 2004.
We envision a food secure Cowichan nourished by celebrating our connection to food, to our environment and to each other. Cowichan Green Community cultivates resilient, inclusive and healthy local food systems and vibrant social fabric. Our Mission is to cultivate food, community, and resilience.
CGC is a hub for social innovation, community engagement and community building. Our food security projects include the creation of food policy documents such as the Cowichan Food Charter and the Cowichan Food Security Plan, projects like reFRESH Food Recovery, FruitSave – a fruit gleaning project- and community gardens. We also run educational programs like our KinPark Kid’s Camp, and organize Seedy Saturdays to promote the role of ecological agriculture in the local community.
Experience and Knowledge:
• Previous family/youth programming experience
• Previous garden and/or farm work experience
• Good organizational skills
• Working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet
• Knowledge and understanding of food security an asset
• Previous work at a community non-profit organization an asset
• Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
• Relationship Building: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the program.
• Communication: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to engage people in the community process, and to share the results of the program.
• Organizational Skills: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, and monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
• Problem Solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations to the Manager and/or resolve the problem.
Overview: The KinPark Youth Urban Farm Intern position will involve working at the urban farm located in the Kinsmen Park. The position will report directly to the KinPark Farm Manager.
Duties: The Coordinator will be accountable for the following:
Urban Farm Programming
• Assist with the farm activity delivery including planning and scheduling
• Assist with coordination of workshops and learning opportunities
• Assist with promotion of the program including website, posters, social media etc.
• Assist with coordinating of programs with other organizations
• Assist with reporting, budgeting, tracking and evaluation
• Assist with running the KinPark Kids Camp and supervising counselors.
Youth Urban Farm Planning and Production:
Assist with general day-to-day operations of the farm including planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, marketing, etc.
Assist with ongoing construction of the farm
Assist with coordination of any community workshops
Assist with community outreach and project coordination
Assist with promotion of the farm through social and print media
Develop marketing materials including advertisements, posters, webpages, etc.
• Communicate clearly with other staff members, volunteers, partners, sponsors, and community members
• Keep the Manager fully informed on the status of the program on a weekly basis
Term: June 2021-March 31, 2022
• The Intern will work outdoors at the urban farm and indoors at the centre for the majority of the time, with occasional CGC office time, as well as other community locations.
• The Intern will work on a full time basis of 35 hours paid hours per week, with occasional evenings and weekends.
• Compensation is $16 per hour for a one year contract and is subject to funding from the Federal Government’s Youth Employment and Skills Training Program ending March 31, 2022. Free food will be available to take home.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: June 15
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org